Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why all the hate for pocket guns?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Why all the hate for pocket guns?

Everyone talks about how they AIWB a G19 with a spare magazine and a flashlight and a spare set of house keys and it "disappears".

Well, mine doesn't. I have the below setup with a Beltman belt. I usually wear tighter fitting pastel colored polos and khakis or jeans. (Think brad & chad)

Everyone acts like a G19 is so easily concealed and pocket guns are stupid because you "only" have 7 rounds (I can't conceal a G43 with a mag extension), but I have never been able to do that. On the other hand, I can conceal a G43 while at the beach in board shorts with no shirt on with a Smartcarry holster or while in khaki pants and a polo dressed as if I am a freshly promoted USMC Captain. Others have said "You just need wider shoulders". Ok cool. What do I do in the two years before I reach Dwight Howard status though?

A) How do you guys conceal this shit?
    B) Why do people rag on the smaller guns? It makes no sense to say "I'd rather have 16 rounds than 7", because for me it's "I'd rather have 7 rounds than zero."
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-10-18 at 07:15. Reason: My friend is getting married today and its a terrible idea.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In all fairness, to me a G19 is a pocket gun.

But I have..... extenuating circumstances.

But this is why I like hammerless snubbies or even my .25.

Still, I dont care how much BJJ or Taekwondo you have taken; If some dude jumps out at me in a mugging, I dont want to punch him. I want to put something hot and metal in his chest or face.

He has made his decision to commit a forcible felony using threat of death or bodily harm to take whatever money I have because somehow getting shot or stabbed makes more sense than an honest 8 hours of work.

It's this ego thing. Like guys belittling small pistol calibers. It's not meant to be a main gun. It's meant to give you a chance.

At best, the assailant dies. At worst, he runs off with blood in his face or with unbearable abdominal pain. But he's not bothering you anymore, is he?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    No ragging here.
    I carry a PM9 as a "pocket" gun. I'm used to smooth, double action (PPC/NRA Action using K/L frames).
    Can hit a 4" square at 20 yds., chrono's 1230 FPS with standard pressure 124 gr. G D's.
    Beats hell out of a rock.

Feedback Score
    Ya gotta dress around it. Good belt, good holster, cover garment.

A hybrid holster and behind the hip works for me.

That said I don't carry the G19 anymore.

I carry a pocket gun, too. (And an ISWB gun)
    Either a 5-shot revolver, 9 -shot .25 or 10- shot .25.

When I was younger I carried a g19 in a comptac minataur behind the hip and tucked with just a collared shirt. I don't think anyone ever made me. Certainly not my coworkers or bosses.

But despite repeated attempts to go back to carrying a gun of that bulk and weight everyday in FL I'm just not willing to do it anymore.

But I digress. You can change where you carry, get better gear, dress around it better, or get something smaller.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-10-18 at 07:59.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Euro, I’m about the same build as you. My preferred carry piece to try to “dress around” is a PX4 fullsize, which is about the size of a G19. I can’t get it to disappear appendix. It prints like crazy. With a bit looser polo, I can make it work strongside IWB. Finding the right cant and position on the belt is critical. I’ve been very surprised that strongside works better than appendix for me.

I still end up carrying a Beretta 85 sometimes. Not that much smaller, but something about its shape makes it invisible strongside IWB.

Edit: I also carry a CW9 rarely, but I try to go bigger when I can.

No hate for small guns from me; I just try to carry the best shooting gun I can get away with, when I can.
    Last edited by 1168; 02-10-18 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My opinion? The firearms market is totally fear driven so ratcheting up the perceived "potential threat" is the only way to keep that entire industry humming (outside of mil/LE of course).

I still don't know a single person in my sphere of influence who has ever had to pull a gun on someone. Naive? Maybe.

A few years ago folks were ditching Smith 442s in favor of pocket .380 autos because of faster reloads or whatever. I think the perceived threat back then was getting jumped in the Kroger parking lot. Maybe you kept a full size 9mm at home, or a short 12ga for "home invaders" and all the bases were covered.

Today the perceived threat is that an average dude will have to engage multiple Jihadis at Target while partnering up with the incoming SWAT team to save the day. Full size pistol w/ RDS or bust. Trunk Recce with spare 30rd mags to hand out to the SWAT buddies also.

At home the threat is now an E250 van full of Bloods dumping out in your front yard and conducting a full SEAL style entry into your house to steal your TV while murdering everyone. SBR AR with Magpul D60 and NV or bust.

I'm a low expectations moron though so I only keep a G19 with Ameriglos on my nightstand and a G43 with Ameriglos AIWB for going to church. I do always carry a spare 43 mag however, because it makes me feel a smidge more warm and fuzzy inside.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 02-10-18 at 08:14.

Feedback Score
    Real operators don't own pocket guns....there's too many bad guys behind lamp posts for such limited guns.

If you want that 19 to disappear, get yourself a nice leather OWB pancake holster and an oversized T. Also ditch any accessories that add bulk and weight... If you really want it to disappear ditch it and get a Shield or other thin single stack 9mm.

That being said, real pocket guns shouldn't be much larger or wider than your wallet, and should weigh in loaded less than a pound. Think back to your last shoot out...I bet the 7 rounds of 380 afforded by the LCP would have been enough. On edit...I also needs to fit in your pocket in a holster and still have room for your hand. Sure I can stuff a P220 in my pants pocket but it's going to look dumb and weigh a ton, something I'm not willing to do, especially since I'm not willing to wear goofy "tactical" pants with big dumb goofy pockets when out with the family.
    Last edited by ritepath; 02-10-18 at 08:50.
    The Jeep is Family

Feedback Score
    I carry a G26 +2 and a spare 17 round mag on either hip, I have a 33 waist and standing it's nearly impossible to see. I carry all this in a Crossbreed holsters which I find comfortable.

I would ditch appendix carry and go with something that works for you.

I also carry a PM9 in a thin kydex Fist holster and if the size of gun doesn't permit I will pocket carry a S&W Bodyguard 380. I carry these other to pistols when I'm not supposed to carry a pistol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Everyone talks about how they AIWB a G19 with a spare magazine and a flashlight and a spare set of house keys and it "disappears".

Well, mine doesn't. I have the below setup with a Beltman belt. I usually wear tighter fitting pastel colored polos and khakis or jeans. (Think brad & chad)

Everyone acts like a G19 is so easily concealed and pocket guns are stupid because you "only" have 7 rounds (I can't conceal a G43 with a mag extension), but I have never been able to do that. On the other hand, I can conceal a G43 while at the beach in board shorts with no shirt on with a Smartcarry holster or while in khaki pants and a polo dressed as if I am a freshly promoted USMC Captain. Others have said "You just need wider shoulders". Ok cool. What do I do in the two years before I reach Dwight Howard status though?

A) How do you guys conceal this shit?
    B) Why do people rag on the smaller guns? It makes no sense to say "I'd rather have 16 rounds than 7", because for me it's "I'd rather have 7 rounds than zero."

Drop the light and try a vanguard 2. Sometimes a shield is all that will hide.
    Try hiding anything with fitted, tucked in casual clothes... not easy, forget a g19

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Waist height of pants makes a huge difference...go to normal fit shirts vs slim/athletic fit

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast