Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why all the hate for pocket guns?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    grizzyblake,

A lot of truth in your post. Most people will never have to draw down on another person in anger. You should be prepared, by all means. But the likelihood is quite low.

A lot of old salts toted hammerless smiths or 380s as BUGs and thought nothing of it. Even derringers.

I think there is this James Yeager mentality to keep people spun up and afraid of everything and cite some freak occurrence as a regular and pervasive threat to justify being caustic and unnecessarily aggressive. And in turn it feeds on this urge people these days have to want to magically be Mclane from Die Hard if TSHTF.

However, I wont downplay home invasions. They have gotten a bit more brazen and depending on who is busting in on you; maybe an AR with a D60 isnt a bad idea.

But for just going to the mall or out to a FroYo stand; and 6 shot handgun is going to be more than enough.

95% of any potential hazard can be avoided by picking where you are going and what time. Honestly, the internet has made it easier than ever to be a recluse.

I can just add to cart or stream it. If I do go somewhere, it is usually where I am known and have no issues.

But again this James Yeager, Active Self Protection schtick of making it seem like going to Publix is akin to heading off to Hamburger Hill is lame.

So tote your "mouse guns" with confidence. FWIW, it is kind of a morbid analogy but Nazi Officers toted Baby Brownings or Czech pocket pistols out to dinner in uniform and had folks in the Resistance with LeMats or stolen Schmeissers or bombs out to get them.

I think you'll be fine heading to Wally World with your G43

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    grizzyblake,

A lot of truth in your post. Most people will never have to draw down on another person in anger. You should be prepared, by all means. But the likelihood is quite low.

A lot of old salts toted hammerless smiths or 380s as BUGs and thought nothing of it. Even derringers.

I think there is this James Yeager mentality to keep people spun up and afraid of everything and cite some freak occurrence as a regular and pervasive threat to justify being caustic and unnecessarily aggressive. And in turn it feeds on this urge people these days have to want to magically be Mclane from Die Hard if TSHTF.

However, I wont downplay home invasions. They have gotten a bit more brazen and depending on who is busting in on you; maybe an AR with a D60 isnt a bad idea.

But for just going to the mall or out to a FroYo stand; and 6 shot handgun is going to be more than enough.

95% of any potential hazard can be avoided by picking where you are going and what time. Honestly, the internet has made it easier than ever to be a recluse.

I can just add to cart or stream it. If I do go somewhere, it is usually where I am known and have no issues.

But again this James Yeager, Active Self Protection schtick of making it seem like going to Publix is akin to heading off to Hamburger Hill is lame.

So tote your "mouse guns" with confidence. FWIW, it is kind of a morbid analogy but Nazi Officers toted Baby Brownings or Czech pocket pistols out to dinner in uniform and had folks in the Resistance with LeMats or stolen Schmeissers or bombs out to get them.

I think you'll be fine heading to Wally World with your G43
    With all due respect I think Active Self Protection puts out good info and gets new comers thinking. There are a lot people out there that have had zero training and are absolutely absolutely clueless.

James Yeager is over the top but I believe he has become more professional over the last year or so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just don't like them for their grip size. I know it's not meant to be a fighting gun but I always seem to be constant battle with the gun.

10 - 15 years ago when I weighed 160# I could conceal anything in tshirts and jeans. Even giant HK USP full size weren't a problem. My daily carry was a 19. Today I've gained a few pounds and up to 215 and now I gotta watch what shirt I wear with the same G19, same holster and same position. So now I'm forced to look for alternatives or pick out my shirts more carefully.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 02-10-18 at 09:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can get concealing a full size pistol AIWB, what I don't get is sitting down with it barring an incredibly tall pelvis or old man pants to the ribs.

Strong side carry under a t shirt is not difficult with a quality belt and holster.

Feedback Score
    For just putzing around town, I have lately just been dropping a Ruger LCP in a pocket and going. If I ever get into another gunfight I might regret that , but sometimes convenience is nice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have had the same problem. I’m 6’2” and 200lbs. I have a G19 in a High Threat Concealment holster and I can’t seem to get around the printing. I don’t feel that I wear tight fitting shirts but I always find myself questioning if I’m printing too much. Wearing a jacket seems to be the only go around for the 19. Most of the time I just switch out for my 26 or my S&W bodyguard in a pocket holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is this specifically a AIWB problem or carry problem? I find it easier to conceal carrying on my strong side.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For OWB / IWB carry, you have to be willing to dress around the weapon, even just a little bit - there has to be a decent amount of looseness to the shirt material over the weapon (or an additional cover garment, which for warmer climates is not really doable).

From your photo an extra inch or two of material horizontally at the waist would probably make a huge difference in concealment. And darker colors conceal better than lighter, IME at least - Medium blues, greens, browns, especially with a little pattern or design help break up any occasional print as you move around.

No issue with a pocket gun here either, either S&W J-frame or G42 when I need the concealment. I had surgery last year which made belt carry untenable for about 4 months and those worked well for me until I could get back to the G19 (although no coolio-RMR for me, just an XC1).

But in your case if you want to keep the hipster shirt style, I'd continue with the G43.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 02-10-18 at 10:17.

Feedback Score
    I can't speak for the other LEOs on here but what I carry at work when I'm looking for trouble is vastly different than what I carry off duty.
    On shift I have a G17 Gen4 plus three, yes three, spare magazines. That is 69 rounds of 147gr 9mm. I have more loaded mags in the Tahoe plus my AR and plate carrier.
    Off duty, in the Seattle metro area, is a G43 with a +2 extension and an identical spare in my pocket. I'm good with that.

Like others on here, I see the experts out there toting about their G19/17s with RMRs, spares, OC spray (Yeah, I'm looking at you Active Self Protection) tourniquets, IFAKs etc for daily carry. Others still telling me I should just buy bigger clothes and dress around the gun. I wear jeans and a t-shirt mostly and want to blend in. I'm more concerned about some a$$hole kicking in my door at home.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast