Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: rifle cleaning

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I have 1300 on a BCM SS410 barrel. Still shoots sub moa with my loads. I keeping thinking the next range visit will be the time that the accuracy starts to go...
    Because of not cleaning it or do you think the bore will be shot out after 1300 rounds?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snackgunner View Post
    Because of not cleaning it or do you think the bore will be shot out after 1300 rounds?
    Vegas is a smart guy.

I think he means cleaning it will affect accuracy, not the bore being toast.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heavygunner8 View Post
    I clean my AR every time I shoot. I know it's unnecessary, but I find it fun, I'm OCD about putting it back in the safe dirty.
    I don't find it fun, but I AM OCD about it going into the safe without being spotless, so I do the same. It's probably like changing your oil at 500 miles, but what the hell.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Vegas is a smart guy.

I think he means cleaning it will affect accuracy, not the bore being toast.
    I have my moments but not frequent enough!

Yeah, was referring to exactly what Euro said. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Once known ammo under reasonable conditions opens up, time to clean.

ETA: for anyone who cleans their rifle everytime they get home from the range, you are doing it wrong. That 15-30 minutes could have been spent shooting. What is more fun I ask?
    Last edited by Vegas; 02-14-18 at 11:53.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with cleaning a gun thoroughly each time. I used to do that. Don't have the time anymore though. I may end up only shooting 20 rounds through my AR with all the other range projects going on... so no way am I cleaning up a practice gun for that limited round count.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I suppose everyone has an interval they are comfortable with. I think it's over thought mostly and would rather spend time shooting or loading.

Feedback Score
    I didn't clean either of my 2 ARs in all of 2017 over exactly 3,808 rounds of 556 fired. I shot in 100 degree humid summer heat, in subzero snowstorms, and in pouring rain. Also took one 500 round class in dusty conditions. The only downside to not cleaning your rifles is that they get everything they touch filthy.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Between Thanksgiving and New Years I clean my shooters. Precision rifles get more attention but nothing crazy. I had one AR that reached 4000 rounds and it still ran fine. That's too long but it was a training rifle only. I've seen too many shiney M-4's because of cleaning too much during my deployments.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score

rifle cleaning

Clean often? not so much. Inspect for cracks, loose fittings, failures etc. Every couple outings. Operational readiness is important to me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234