Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this new bolt? HM Defense

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I think I misunderstood your earlier post.
    No I was not clear, making it sound like since I never broke one, they never broke.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I thought it was a great idea and I have one for testing this training season. My first impression is that quite possibly, "this solved it". It does still give two points of contact. Looking at it I believe that given good materials and processes, this design ought to be way less crack prone.
    I'm with you, on this one. Having the extra material left by the blind hole will significantly reduce the stress riser at that point. It's a simple solution that's so obvious, it leaves me wondering why no one tried it before.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Do quality bolts tend to break at the hole or is it a cheap part issue?
    In general terms, cheap bolts break at the cam pin hole, while quality bolts crack and eventually break lugs.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    http://www.hmdefense.com/html/ar15_parts.html

Smaller cam pin diameter, and a "socket" rather than a hole all the way through the bolt. Supposed to prevent fracturing at the cam pin hole.
    On a side note, why would a company go through all the trouble of building a "better bolt", and then use crap pictures to try to showcase their new product? The firearm world is highly visual, and using your cell phone to try to sell thousands of you new item just doesn't cut it.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    On a side note, why would a company go through all the trouble of building a "better bolt", and then use crap pictures to try to showcase their new product? The firearm world is highly visual, and using your cell phone to try to sell thousands of you new item just doesn't cut it.
    LOL! Engineers, not artists!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

I wouldn’t let the pictures bother me, personally. They seem to reasonably depict the product, and the words do the rest.

I understand your perspective, though, and if I were selling something, I would get some good professional photos taken for this instagram everyone is always talking about, or for blogs and magazines.

I’m not the target audience, though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloLarry View Post
    LOL! Engineers, not artists!
    Even they should be able to understand the idea of showing both sides!
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I wouldn’t let the pictures bother me, personally. They seem to reasonably depict the product, and the words do the rest.

I understand your perspective, though, and if I were selling something, I would get some good professional photos taken for this instagram everyone is always talking about, or for blogs and magazines.

I’m not the target audience, though.
    Looking at that picture, and with no other info, it appears there is an o-ring stuck inside a bolt cam hole.... and that doesn't illustrate it very well if the pic is sent and the info isn't attached. I understand what you mean in that it doesn't change its function in the slightest, but the pic will go up on IG, and reposted, and there won't be any info posted along with it aside from "new bolt".
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I suppose this is an improvement, but a preventive maintenance program is probably the solution. Eventually this bolt will still shed a lug or break an extractor if the cam pin hole doesn't crack. It's only a matter of time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'd rather see radiuses behind the lugs like LMT, an even smaller diameter cam pin, and stick with C158 for the steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast