Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special 158 grain LRN ballistics

Feedback Score

.38 Special 158 grain LRN ballistics

I rarely post on here, but I did a search and really didn't find much on my question (though I do apologize in advance if this has been covered before). I'm interested in seeing the terminal ballistics of the old 158 grain LRN round in standard pressure .38 Special out of both a service revolver and a J-frame. I understand that the loading is anemic compared to a good hollow point like the 135 grain +p Gold Dot, but I would still like to see how the old loading performs.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    You’ll find decent penetration with little, to zero, permanent or temporary wound cavitation.

Feedback Score
    Overpenetration, no expansion and little wounding beyond the .35 caliber tear in the tissue it passes through.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What information do you want? Penetration in gelatin? Penetration through auto glass or dry wall?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I'd like to see this testing, too. From a four inch and from a snub-nosed pistol.

Through gelatin, clothed gelatin, steel and laminated glass.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-12-18 at 00:34.

Feedback Score
    Ideally, I'd like to see the loading go through the FBI protocols. This is mostly out of curiosity, since I know the loading was a mainstay for quite some time but haven't seen any data on how it performs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'd like to see this testing, too. From a four inch and from a snub-nosed pistol.

Through gelatin, clothed gelatin, steel and laminated glass.
    Look up Jim Cirrillo and read about his experiences in the NYPD Stakeout Squad. They shot a lot of people with the .38 158 grain LRN. He is very candid about that crappy ammo they were issued.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    It didn’t perform for shit.
    That’s why the Army re-issued mod P Colts (single action .45 Colt) in the Philippines.
    The .38 wouldn’t stop the jurementados.
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-12-18 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    It didn’t perform for shit.
    That’s why the Army re-issued mod P Colts (single action .45 Colt) in the Philippines.
    The .38 wouldn’t stop the jurementados.
    Different 38. You're thinking of 38 long Colt black powder. That round had slightly less energy than a modern day 380.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I stand corrected, although I believe the bullet was quite similar- with same lack of “stopping power” as .38 Special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast