Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Magwell or not to Magwell ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

To Magwell or not to Magwell ?

I was thinking about adding a Magwell to my CRG. Thoughts?

How much should it cost? My gunsmith tell me he likes Smith and Alexander ? Opinions ? I know Brown and Wilson are the gold standard, but how is Smith Alexander magwells?

Also, Im picking up a sweet NHC Heinie PDP, and it of course has no Maxwell so I was considering sending it to NHC for a Magwell, but I doubt it.

The whole thing has me thinking Mag or no Maxwell?

The 1911 Flu Bug is a nasty one !!

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How do you plan to use it? Competition that allows magwells, sure. It'll definitely be beneficial when you're competing with others with them. Self defense and typical range use, nope.

But if you really like magwells, then go for it. My opinion shouldn't matter.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    These are the GOLD Standard in Magwells IMHO; http://www.chencustom.com/magwells-1

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I never liked 'em on a carry gun because they add a little weight, width, and length, and if the magwell manages to get twisted your SOL. I would only consider a one-piece for a carry gun.

I competed in single stack quite a bit with no magwell and did ok, but I was using a carry pistol.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Smith and Alexander is pretty tried and true. The EGW weld on is the most beneficial and it doesn't stick out like an IPSC open gun either. Frankly I think it's very subtle and probably easier to use than most 1pc mainspring/mag well combos.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

To Magwell or not to Magwell ?

Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    How do you plan to use it? Competition that allows magwells, sure. It'll definitely be beneficial when you're competing with others with them. Self defense and typical range use, nope.

But if you really like magwells, then go for it. My opinion shouldn't matter.
    Every 8-round 1911 mag that I know of sticks out way bast the bottom of the grip, so it really isn't adding a whole lot to the footprint.

Pb - I had SACS add a Wilson Bullet Proof magwell to my CRG and I love it. I think every 1911 deserves a magwell.

Last edited by Wake27; 02-10-18 at 21:50.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    My carry 1911 from Mars Armament has a S&A, and my range use has a two-pice Wilson Combat Speed-Chute. Both were contoured with the mag well.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Every 8-round 1911 mag that I know of sticks out way bast the bottom of the grip, so it really isn't adding a whole lot to the footprint.

Pb - I had SACS add a Wilson Bullet Proof magwell to my CRG and I love it. I think every 1911 deserves a magwell.

So very Nice. Well done
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I'm in agreement with Wake on the desireability of a magwell on a 1911.

The one (or two) piece units add 3/8"+- to the bottom of grip frame- which as Wake pointed out is a non issue with slam pads on your mags.

The weld (sliver solder) on units require the grip frame be cut- and you end up with a standard grip frame dimension.
    The one piece units are much easier and cheaper on install. The only issue is blending the magwell to the frame (per Wakes last photo).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Im going to pull the trigger on my CRG, the NHC, will be a bigger decision to make that change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast