Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Magwell or not to Magwell ?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    As I recall, S&A has a pretty good reputation, but that was before NHC and Wilson were doing one-peice magwells.

For me they're like forward cocking serrations: If I'm given the choice, I'll take them, they make life easier for me, but I don't need them.

Having a mag well on my gun does noticeably slow me down when I'm using a 1911 without one, though. With the mag well, I can pretty much treat my 1911 reloads like a double-stack handgun. Without it, I have to slow down quite a bit to make sure I get the back of the magazine indexed inside the well before slapping it home.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    As I recall, S&A has a pretty good reputation, but that was before NHC and Wilson were doing one-peice magwells.

For me they're like forward cocking serrations: If I'm given the choice, I'll take them, they make life easier for me, but I don't need them.

Having a mag well on my gun does noticeably slow me down when I'm using a 1911 without one, though. With the mag well, I can pretty much treat my 1911 reloads like a double-stack handgun. Without it, I have to slow down quite a bit to make sure I get the back of the magazine indexed inside the well before slapping it home.
    I would have to agree. Slow you down but I have a SA Pro with magwell should I require one. My gunsmith said roughly $110 installed, so CRG, here it comes.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’ve been using a S&A for years on my CQB and it’s super solid, but I’m going with a Techwell TGO on the 1911 I’m having built currently...they load super easy and require no modifications to your gun if that’s a big deal to you.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    I’ve been using a S&A for years on my CQB and it’s super solid, but I’m going with a Techwell TGO on the 1911 I’m having built currently...they load super easy and require no modifications to your gun if that’s a big deal to you.
    Wow. Pretty interesting. For that price you can't go wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Dawson Ice is one I've seen and heard spoken of by the serious competition 1911 guys.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I went with an S&A on my SACS 1911. Due to SACS front strap checkering(It was a loaded model originally), the front tips of the magwell extended out 1/8 of an inch. I called S&A, spoke with the owner who said I could dremel/sand/blend it, then mail it to him. He re-blued it for free within a week and sent it back.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    Wow. Pretty interesting. For that price you can't go wrong.
    It’s a great design, it attaches to thier grip panels and is super solid...and designed by The Great One (Rob Leatham). It’s been on alot of the guns that have been winning Nationals and World shoots since it’s been out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Every 8-round 1911 mag that I know of sticks out way bast the bottom of the grip, so it really isn't adding a whole lot to the footprint.

Pb - I had SACS add a Wilson Bullet Proof magwell to my CRG and I love it. I think every 1911 deserves a magwell.

That is a sweat looking pistol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpb1776 View Post
    That is a sweat looking pistol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    yes it is ! agreed 100%
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    OP- just keep looking at it until you have to have it. I love having a magwell on my 1911! I have a blended one and can very much appreciate it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast