Thread: Running an AIMs 74 Lefty

Feedback Score

Running an AIMs 74 Lefty

Okay, AK experts. I'm newer to AKs and only had one for a bit. I'm looking at a good deal for an AIMs 74 build from Atlantic Firearms, but I've never shot with the wire stock. I'm left eye dominant and run my long guns, including my Colt patrol rifle, lefty. I can shoot off either shoulder, but I prefer lefty, especially with iron sights. Does anyone have experience shooting lefty with that offset wire stock? I have ideas for a sling setup.

And yes, I'm wanting a 5.45... just personal preference.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm a lefty and have a SAR 2 that had one of those stocks on it for a while. As a lefty I found the Romanian wire folders with the push button & offset to the right to be annoying to shoot, but not painful with the mild recoil of the 5.45 round.

I replaced it with one of the Romanian wire stock with the lever that have the wire stock located in the middle. I liked that much better. It's an easy swap (just like changing a "normal" fixed AK buttstock) if you find the push button stock sufficiently annoying.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_f View Post
    I'm a lefty and have a SAR 2 that had one of those stocks on it for a while. As a lefty I found the Romanian wire folders with the push button & offset to the right to be annoying to shoot, but not painful with the mild recoil of the 5.45 round.

I replaced it with one of the Romanian wire stock with the lever that have the wire stock located in the middle. I liked that much better. It's an easy swap (just like changing a "normal" fixed AK buttstock) if you find the push button stock sufficiently annoying.
    Excellent insight, Mike. Thanks for the response.