Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best AR magazine compatible calibers?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 277 wolverine and 300 Blackout are what I would consider short to mid range cartridges. 300 yards max for hunting.

If you are looking for something longer range might look into the 224 Valkyrie. No first hand experience so I don’t know how it would work for hunting at distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have very little personal experience with alternative chamberings, but I periodically review what is out there and plan some hypothetical purpose-driven builds around them. The only two that ever make any sense to me are .300BLK and 6.8 SPC.

Blackout for subs, or for ridiculously short barrels, and 6.8 for hunting in states that don’t allow 5.56, or perhaps as a rifle for regions that simply have larger deer.

I always come out of this daydream and stick with 5.56 because I love its trajectory, low recoil, known reliability, and ammo/barrel/bolt/magazine availability.

Feedback Score
    It is a weird day dream.

My first rifle was a 225 Winchester.
    Not the fastest .224 gun ever, but pretty impressive to a 12 year old almost 30 years ago.

Imagine my shock, 2 years later, when I bought, very unusual and uncommon at the time, an SP1.
    All the lore of the spinning, tumbling, man killing M16 and my first thought on eyeballing the ammo was,
    Holy shit! This is just a varmit round. And not even a good one.
    Sure enough, my 225 launched 55gr bullets four or five hundred FPS faster than my SP1.

My 30 06 launched 150 grains 100 FPS faster than my buddies .308. Then my 270 did it about 100 FPS faster than my 06. In the woods at short ranges I was cool with a 30 30.

But those early impressions made me partial to trajectories/rounds pushing 3000 FPS,
    A fan of those even faster,
    But more along the lines of tolerant of 30 30 velocities.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Might want to look into the 224 Valkyrie.

90 grain, it is a neck down 6.8spc.

They say it stays supersonic past 1300yrds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Valkyrie needs 6.8 or Grendel magazines

Feedback Score
    The sharps round with is Also hitting 2650 with 100 grains and keeps 3000 to 87 grains. Seems to have developed no interest though

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    The sharps round with is Also hitting 2650 with 100 grains and keeps 3000 to 87 grains. Seems to have developed no interest though
    TFB did not like that round at all; I don’t remember what was up with that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123