Thread: Thunder Ranch Illumination System v. TLR-1 v. Nitrolon in VTAC offset

Feedback Score

Thunder Ranch Illumination System v. TLR-1 v. Nitrolon in VTAC offset

Quick input needed.

We have a quantity of Pentagon light/laser combo lights a local gun store is offering to swap for a much greater number of Streamlight Thunder Ranch Illumination systems.

For various reasons the Pentagon units have been viewed unfavorably by mgmt.

This is being viewed by our purchasing person as a cost effective way to put lights on all our carbines including 54 new ones _ and not have to purchase rail systems.

It certainly appears to be a bulkier idea than TLR-1s on a Streamlight adapter rail or SF Nitrolong in a VTAC offset, but is cost efficient = basically free because it's a trade.

Question is, which will hold up better for general purpose & special teams use?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Have a link to the Thunder Ranch thing?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I found this hand held thingy:
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamli...tem-88107.html

I don't know about that lightning farm flashlight business but I used a Pentagon 2 cell light on an AR for a couple of years and never had any problem with it. I put about 1000 rounds through the gun with the light mounted. I only switched to the Surefire G2 because I wanted to cut the weight. The Pentagon is built like a tank and weigh like one too.

From the picture, the lightning farm doodad in Dan's post doesn't look too sturdy. I read somewhere, that the mount and light had trouble staying attached to the gun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That light setup makes me queasy. But, since they're getting a trade for a higher quantity, I suspect this is an already done deal.

I'd much prefer a Surefire G2 in a VTAC or other suitable mount.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a Streamlight TL-3 that I use as a handheld light, and I keep it in my car. Just for kicks, I mounted it on one of my carbines to see how it worked. I found it to be very heavy, and the shape and size of the switch (recessed and fairly small) are less than ideal in my opinion. I have also tried a TLR-1, which I like for a HD gun but which might not be enough for general-purpose indoor/outdoor use. It has good output, but to my eyes it seems to lack the range of a G2.

Overall, I still think the G2 (or maybe a G2L, the LED model) in a VTAC is a very good and reasonably priced setup. The Vltor mounts gets rave review, but I haven't tried one yet.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That light setup makes me queasy. But, since they're getting a trade for a higher quantity, I suspect this is an already done deal.

I'd much prefer a Surefire G2 in a VTAC or other suitable mount.
    Yeah, just found out it's a done deal...so I'll just buy a G2 VTAC or run the TLR-1 on the Streamlight rail piece

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    VTAC currently has a package deal with a G2 and the light mount for around $51.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    VTAC + G2/G2LED/6P/Etc.. is a simple, cheap, light, and elegant solution. These have relegated MUCH more expensive SF setups to backup status. Various LED drop ins also let you have as much power or runtime as you decide.

Dennis.