Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 640 Pro: initial thoughts and review

Feedback Score
    Is that the same CT grip that would go on a 638?
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Yes, those are 405 compacts I took off my 642
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Great review! Thanks.

I'm really considering this one. Like you, I've been carrying "J"s for years and love the practicality.

I'm torn. I have the PD 340 in .357 which is the ULTIMATE pocket rocket imho. So, the conundrum for me... I already have a 5-shot .357... So if I get another, why not go with a six shooter??? The more I handle the K6s, the more I like it... At the same time, I already have a lot of J-frame swag...
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    That is a sweet looking j-frame. Great write up. Thank you. However, I think it needs one thing to make it the perfect CCW revolver, to be carried IWB and with a Centenial airweight as BUG - it needs a 3" barrel (with pinned front sight).

It's still too light to load with magnums, and I have no confidence in any +P .38 HP opening up from a 2" (+-) barrel. Put a 3" on that 640 Pro (and send if off to Denny Reichard for an action job) and now you've got something.

Feedback Score
    nice review
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    This and the K6 are stiff competitors. Price definitely would factor in as well.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    This and the K6 are stiff competitors. Price definitely would factor in as well.
    I do love my K6 had many a J`Frame in my day as well too, they never failed me
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great review.

I'm a sucker for the stainless J-frames, and I have them in every configuration (including a 2" 63-3 that I probably overpaid for), but the only 640 I have is an older no-dash model. I had a 640-1 for a while, but it came with the pre-XS big dot front and standard gutter rear, a combination which was fairly useless beyond a dozen yards or so.

I didn't realize the 640 Pro was lock-free; now that I know, it might be time to go shopping.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am a big fan of the J-frame for pocket carry in a pocket holster. I have a S&W 640 set up with a big dot front sight--since it seems to be the only game in the market. I am fine with the standard weight gun and got it before there were lighter weight alternatives.

I have seen the Pro and like the looks and especially the sights of it. But I am concerned that the rear sights might snag while drawing it from the pocket if I am in a less than optional position.

I am not sure how practice with it would carry over to my normal 640 since it has different sights.

If I were buying a handgun to carry in a holster as opposed to pocket carry I would get a Glock 26 or an M&P shield or a small auto in that category.

The advantage I see in the J-frame is that its grip is easy to get your hand on in the pocket and that the backstrap and the rear portion of the gun is smooth and angled so they are not likely to get snagged.

You may need to take some pants to the tailor and have them deepen the pocket so that the gun has space or doesn't print.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Owned an older pre-lock 640-1, fully shrouded ejector rod in 357.

Great revolver - 38s were easy and 357s didn't get to me until 50 or so rounds.

However, you lose what I like a J-frame for, lightweight and pocket carry with a no snag draw. It's just too heavy for pocket carry in ways my 442 or MP340 can be.

Sure you can IWB / OWB it, but then you can just as easily carry a subcompact semi that way, which beats a 640 on many levels. OWB J-frame carry is a "WUT" for me.

JMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast