Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&W 640 Pro: initial thoughts and review

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

S&W 640 Pro: initial thoughts and review

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Owned an older pre-lock 640-1, fully shrouded ejector rod in 357.

Great revolver - 38s were easy and 357s didn't get to me until 50 or so rounds.

However, you lose what I like a J-frame for, lightweight and pocket carry with a no snag draw. It's just too heavy for pocket carry in ways my 442 or MP340 can be.

Sure you can IWB / OWB it, but then you can just as easily carry a subcompact semi that way, which beats a 640 on many levels. OWB J-frame carry is a "WUT" for me.

JMO.
    Yeah carrying a J-Frame in a belt holster is only something I saw in the 1980’s and early 1990’s. The chief in my home town wore a model 36 Chief’s Special in a belt pancake style holster. That and detectives on TV like Andy Sipowicz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by usmcvet; 02-25-18 at 16:18.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    I'm still debating the move from a 638 to a 640 PRO. It will be pocket carry but I wear Tru-Spec cargo pants and they have deeper than normal pockets which make them work well for a J frame.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    Prior to the widespread adoption of semi autos by law enforcement, a j frame or similar in a belt holster was in widespread use by non uniformed officers.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Are the sights proprietary? Is there an aftermarket all black rear that would fit?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    I'm still debating the move from a 638 to a 640 PRO. It will be pocket carry but I wear Tru-Spec cargo pants and they have deeper than normal pockets which make them work well for a J frame.
    It's not the size, it's the weight of it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I carried a 642 today for the first time in years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Nice, I don’t carry my J–frames often, either ankle BUG in the winter or in the oppressive heat of summer pocket carry BUG.

I carried a 65 3” for 18 months IWB with a 640 as a lighter IWB option. It was a great learning experinece but the weight and capacity eventually got to me, but I wouldn’t trade that time for the world.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123