Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Stash Shoot, Store, Sell decision

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

My Stash Shoot, Store, Sell decision

Hi guys,

I'm at a crossroads and am looking for opinions.

The top 3 shooting fmj rounds for my guns are:

IMI M855 (late 2000s, early 2010s headstamps)
    MEN 56gr
    Magtech 62gr
    I don't have the equipment to tell if one is better than the other so for me, they are equal so I need opinions from you guys

I have roughly 5k of each and have decided that I want to narrow it down and stick with the Magtech 62gr for long term storage. Ill prob sell off 5k rounds of either the IMI M855 or the MEN 56gr. I'm having a tough time deciding because I think they are both awesome rounds.

I train on carbine roughly 2-3 times a year so don't go through a tremendous amount of it. Even so, trainers don't like M855 if we are shooting steel. Most of the classes I take are pistol.

When I train on carbine, I buy small amounts of cheaper brass ammo like Federal so I'm not ripping through the slightly more expensive good stuff. I think I can get retail on whatever I sell locally because of the ammo restrictions in NY.

What do you guys think? Sell off some IMI or the MEN? My guns range drom 15" (16 with a cut and perm attached brake)middies to 20" rifle length. Carbines are 1:7 twist and rifle 1:8.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I've had reasonable accuracy and total reliability with the 62 gr. CBC.
    The MEN m193 was unimpressive in the accuracy dept. from my guns,
    M855 has a place and I'd hang on to 1 or 2 K rds. just "because".

Since you asked- I'd offload the MEN, keep the CBC 62 gr. and a couple thousand M855.

I'm sure you'll get a wide range of opinions.

Feedback Score
    If you need to sell it for financial reasons, and since you seem to favor it in a true 50/50 split, figure out a good coin toss scenario. Maybe the first batch you see when you open the storage case or walk in the room or whatever is the control group. Say for illustration it's IMI. Flip a coin and whatever it comes up is what IMI is, say heads. Now you flip and whatever comes up is what you sell, heads is IMI and tails is MEN. Make it 3 out of 5 if you want.

If you can afford to keep it all then keep it. Down the line it almost assuredly won't be worth less and may be worth more. Or things may change and you'll shoot a bunch of it and be glad to still have it.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Me:
    Keep “M855”
    Sell MEN
    Shoot Magtech

IIRC, the IWI “M855” is loaded well. The Magtech should be close enough in POA/POI for training. The MEN is too different for me to bother with.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It's partly financial but any money gained from selling off the MEN or IMI would just be spend on more Magtech 62gr.

I may take a trip to the range soon and stretch them out a little. Negligible differences at 100 yards may be more apparent at 200.

I'm thinking that I should sell the MEN too but only because the bulk of what I have is heavier.

Feedback Score
    I think you're overthinking it.

None of those are "precision" rounds, and it sounds like you're not looking for "precision" ammo, anyway.

So shoot up the IMI and MEN, and buy more CBC. Done.

And I'll never understand "long term storage." What's long-term? Next week? The next ten years?

(I have 10-20 years' worth of ammo piled up, based on how much I shoot, but I bought it to shoot it, not to horde it.)

Just buy more ammo and components, until you have so much that you can't imagine shooting it all in your lifetime (or that of your kids, or grandkids). Then you have enough.

Feedback Score
    The only thing I’ll add is that right now it’s a buyers market. I’ve seen some great deals on ammo I haven’t seen in 10+ years. Given the headstamps you listed, you probably paid much more than you’ll get now. I’d say wait if you can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB62 View Post
    The only thing I’ll add is that right now it’s a buyers market...
    Right on, this is the time to BUY ammo, not to sell.

Happily, the ammo market crashing last year coincided with me stockpiling before California outlawed internet ammo sales...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks guys. I got the Magtech 62gr delivered yesterday. I'll hang on to it all for now unless I can get decent money locally for it. It's not about the gain or loss. If I break even with the stuff I just bought, I'd be fine.

It's all great. I just wanted to reduce the variety.
    Last edited by Swstock; 02-16-18 at 05:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    I just wanted to reduce the variety.
    Spice of life... And having several different brands/weights of ammo makes diagnosing issues easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast