Thread: Ruger American swapping barrels or stocks...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ruger American swapping barrels or stocks...

So Ruger has the American in 7.62x39 using Mini-30 mags.

Now after SHOT they also have an American in 5.56 using AR mags.

I have no interest in owning a Mini-30.

I do have an interest in owning an AR using AR pattern mags in 7.62x39.

Theoretically I could buy the Ruger American in 7.62x39 using Mini-30 mags and the Ruger American in 5.56 using ar mags and swap the stocks or barrels and end up with a Ruger American in 7.62x39 using AR pattern mags and a Ruger American in 5.56 using mini-14 mags?

Thoughts?

TED

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Certainly creative. I’m not sure of the mag dimensions of the x39 and 5.56- If they would fit in the wells.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Bolt faces are different as well. Seems like a lot of extra cost and trouble to gain the ability to use $10 mags. I totally get the desire for having less types of mags, ammo, guns, etc. but to me I’d rather just get the mini30 version and buy a few mags rather than two guns and swapping all the parts if I had to have a soviet round.

I would just get the .300blk version. They already solved the problem for you. Ballistics are similar.

Feedback Score
    I have the Mini-30 version and like it. I handled a AR mag version the other day and did not exactly like the mag release on it. It’s not exactly as easy to use as a AR and I think it’s because of the traditional stock grip. The mag release was also covered a bit with part of the stock. I still might pick one up if I see it at the right price. As for swaping them around it’s a interesting idea. Let us know if you figure out if it works or not.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    FYI, I contacted Magpul. I asked them:

Will the Hunter American Stock:
    https://www.magpul.com/products/hunt...n-short-action

Be compatible with the newest version of the Ruger American Rifle that accepts AR-style magazines?
    https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26965.html
    This is what they wrote back:

Our Hunter American short action stock will not be compatible with AR style magazines. You will need to use the AICS pattern magazine that comes with the stock or, one of similar design.
    Bummer. Maybe if this newest Ruger American becomes their most wildly successful model, Magpul will come out with an updated stock?

Feedback Score
    I can’t answer the question about the AK-AR mags but... my 762x39 American will accept a Mini-14 mag with little to wiggle. I guess it really depend on if the 556 and 762 bolts have the same cutouts on the bolt bottoms.

Feedback Score
    The Mini-thirty American will take the Mini-14 magazine. I thought there might be side to side wiggle because the rear of the Mini-thirty is wider but it was pretty tight. I think the question is will the 5.56 Pmag bolt take the Mini-14 magazine and will the Mini-30 bolt take the AK/AR magazine.