Thread: LW test mule project/back-up rifle

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

LW test mule project/back-up rifle

BLUF: See pictures
    Long Version-
    Concept of use: despite already having a rifle built as an end-all be-all in Duty grade components designed to maximize smoothness without gaining the negative attributes of gamer guns, I wanted something as a backup that would run smooth without being finicky so I could work on other concepts of rifle shooting.

Concept of build: to use proven components that could easily be replaced without any special tuning, aka rack grade availability with better than rack grade performance.

Build list:
    Stripped S&W lower
    Vltor A5 RE/A5H2 buffer
    Green Sprinco spring
    LMT small parts
    Vltor Imod stock
    Sionics CH/BCG/LW bbl
    BCM4 stripped upper
    ALG V2 13" rail
    Accu-washer shims for muzzle device
    Forward Control Designs 6315 FH

The lower receiver dates back to the beginning of the Obama admin, and I paid $170 for it. Not knowing how to build one out, I paid a gunsmith to install LMT parts, as Colt and LMT were the only parts that he used in his shop. I later upgraded to the A5 system prior to starting this build. This will be the second upper on this lower.
    I received the Sionics LW barrel for Christmas, and picked up the scope for $75 on the E&E. As a guy who shoots irons and ACOGs at work, I've been interested in a LPVO but have never wanted to pay for anything pricey and find out if I liked it or not afterwards. I grabbed the CH and probably the FCD 6315 on Black Friday, and the upper, rail, and stock are all purchased on the E&E at large discounts from what you'd normally pay.
    Sight in was simple, with two adjustments taking my 5 round groups to where I wanted at 50 yards. Not bad for windchills below 0. I added the Magpul handstop to help myself become more concistent in eye relief and presentation. This is going to become my primary shooter when I'm not working on job related shooting, and my primary rifle will look to become suppressed as its next step.

Attachment 50465
    Attachment 50466
    Attachment 50468
    Attachment 50467
    Last edited by opngrnd; 02-12-18 at 20:10. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Nice build! Have you done accuracy testing with the barrel at all? Also, how do you like the FCD 6315 FH. I have been looking to purchase both of these items and some feedback would be appreciated

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    6315-If you are not a muzzle brake Junkie, and are simply looking to enjoy your flash hider with a little bit more of what makes the A2 Birdcage already awesome, I think you will really like it. I talked to Duffy when he was first bringing it out as a side note while discussing some of his other products. IIRC, he was initially considering it to be a 10 or 15% improvement over the A2 flash hider. I called him back to say I think it's closer to 20 or 25% vs the A2 Birdcage. That's still pretty minimal in the bigger picture, but combined with a barrel from sionics and the A5 buffer system I feel it comes together really well.
    Sionics bbl- my first Sionics Barrel was the med contour that I free floated. It was a very accurate rifle, and the only reason I got rid of it was for the lighter weight and to help a buddy. I remember at one point getting less that a 4" group at 200 yards, for a five shot group with an Aimpoint RDS. I should have kept that target. While I might have been shooting exceptionally well that day, over the 3,000 rounds I put through that upper it seemed that consistently accurate. Having shot Sionics barrels with A2 birdcage next to BCM 16" bbl with their Mod 1 comp, and Centurion 16"bbl with a gas block/port of .076, I feel Sionics bbls are gassed a little smoother as well. I helped set up a buddy with a nigh identical LW Sionics set up and I drew the same conclusion from his build as well. I probably will not do any specific accuracy testing with this set up, but it seems to be following the same path as the other Sionics barrels I have owned and have set buddies up with.

I would say go for both. If you're a non muzzle brake type, I don't think you're going to do any better then the 6315 if it's attributes are what you're looking for, esp in that price range. It does not add blast or spoil you in terms of muzzle rise but certainly helps. As far as the Sionics barrel, I find it to be one of the best values on the market from a company that checks all my boxes with its product and still answers the phone when I call. My questions are probably dumb and asked on a regular basis, but between my buddies and I we have purchased 6 of their barrels and have been very happy with them. Unless I am looking for a niche application, I will be using their barrels in the future.

If you have more specific questions, fire away.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 02-13-18 at 09:25. Reason: Added info

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it. I am going to order the 6315 and pair it with the Sionics Patrol 3 upper receiver. Not a fan of brakes and the 6315 is as good as a flash hider with some help with muzzle rise, so seems like a really good option.

I like the ALG rails and the rail on the Patrol 3 looks somewhat similar and I am sure it's good quality. Planning on pairing it with one of their clearance $199 lowers and adding an A5, so we will have pretty similar set ups. Looking forward to it!
    Last edited by everready73; 02-13-18 at 10:26.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    The Sionics rail is similar, yet slightly more slim than the ALG. A buddy of mine has one of their rails. I feel it really lends itself well for the option of rail covers, etc. It was an absolute steal when they were going for $100ish.
    Their clearance lowers seem to be the best buy on the market right now. You almost hope they drop one on occasion so they can keep up a supply of blems The last blem from them I looked at had one tiny nick that's smaller than what I usually end up with then I assemble my own. We're truly in a buyers market right now.