Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shepherd scopes?

Feedback Score

Shepherd scopes?

Anyone heard of these guys before? Apparently they're an OEM for some larger brands, and I happened across them during an Internet search:

https://shepherdscopes.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My FFL guy in Oregon loved them. Single shot zero, range finding reticle, seemed well designed. My only complaint is that the reticle is designed to accommodate the chest size of the animal being hunted. Deer or elk. Nothing else...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They've Been around a long time (early 80's or longer, remember seeing their advertisements as a kid looking in Dad's gun magazines), with that said, I have never seen one in the wild. Not at the casual range or during matches of any kind (silhouette, F-class, PRS, NRL, various local matches). Also don't see them listed with any match winners. Maybe they sell in the hunting circles, but I see zip in the competition area. You generally wont see a BDC reticle on any serious competition rifles. Nothing about reputation, performance or reliability. Sample size of one.

As far as them being an OEM supplier, that would be news to me. What are they supplying, the whole scope or just parts like tubes and turrets? Glass lens manufacturing is a whole different matter that is a lot more expensive to do properly.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I can't believe they are still around, this picture from their tactical page is worth a laugh.

https://shepherdscopes.com/product-category/tactical/
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I can't believe they are still around, this picture from their tactical page is worth a laugh.

Must have put it on for a photo opp. Who could shoot it with the scope that low?

Feedback Score
    That's only for REAL tactical operators

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The SHEPHERD 3-10X40 P22LR is a great scope for long range rimfire aficionado, a long time ago they were $350.00.
    I have rolled prairie dogs @ 400 yards with it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wow, I remember those scope ads in every gun rag. Went on at length about with Testimony from some random Joe, equipping his worst shot private with the scope on an M14 and put him up against a couple "veterans" on M60s and by golly with five minutes of instruction, the private hit more targets.

Always the same 1 page add for years, maybe decades on end. Ive never seen one, only ever heard mentioned in gest, usually circling over ages of huge claims and never seeing one in person. Like X-ray glasses in MAD magazines or sea monkies

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Must have put it on for a photo opp. Who could shoot it with the scope that low?
    Nevermind the LPVO being mounted ridiculously low, but that's actually the exact scope body and design as Ed Verdugo's 1-6x24 GRSC.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtrock82 View Post
    Wow, I remember those scope ads in every gun rag. Went on at length about with Testimony from some random Joe, equipping his worst shot private with the scope on an M14 and put him up against a couple "veterans" on M60s and by golly with five minutes of instruction, the private hit more targets.

Always the same 1 page add for years, maybe decades on end. Ive never seen one, only ever heard mentioned in gest, usually circling over ages of huge claims and never seeing one in person. Like X-ray glasses in MAD magazines or sea monkies

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
    Lol

https://shepherdscopes.com/gallery/

"The Shepherd scope is our choice in tests of range finding and trajectory compensating scopes. The Shepherd worked as advertised - We were able to zero in with one shot. The range finder worked and the optics were sharp and clear. Excellent resolution and light transmission. WE RECOMMEND IT OVER THE REST."(Quoted from Gun Test Magazine)
    BOB BELL (Gun Digest, 1985)

"There are other top quality scopes of course. The thing that sets the Shepherd apart is its unique Dual Reticle System. It permits one-shot Zeroing, dead-on holding to extreme range with any high velocity load, windage and elevation adjustments that YOU KNOW ARE ACCURATE, because you can visually verify them as they take place, an aiming point that stays on dead zero throughout the complete magnification range, parallax-elimination, and a quick and easy way to adapt for wind without loosing the basic zero. That sounds like a lot of goodies to wrap up in one scope, but they're all built into the Shepherd and one way or another they all derive from the patented Dual Reticle System."

DICK EADES (Modern Gun Magazine, 1996):
    "I was much impressed with my ability to hit 8 inch targets out to 500 yds with the .22 L.R. scope and 8 inch targets anywhere out to 1,000 yards with the center fire model."

LAYNE SIMPSON (Shooting Times, 1995):
    "Shepherd may well be the last word in range finding scopes. The P-1A is right on at long-range with my Shooting Times Western .284."

HOLT BODINSON (Guns Magazine, 1990):
    "Shepherd zeros with one shot and is the instrument for extreme long-range shots. It eliminates errors. It will open a whole new world of shooting for you."

BOB BELL (Gun World Magazine, 1986):
    "Shepherd gives precise aiming at all reasonable ranges and some not so reasonable."

M.SGT. MARK DELMONT, U.S.A.R., AND DEPUTY SHERIFF:

"It takes about ten minutes to train a recruit with this system. He is then able to engage and hit targets at staggered ranges from point blank to 1,000 meters instantly. When he looks in the scope in the field his eye goes immediately to the circle that fits his target, he is unaware of the rest. There is no zooming, dialing or math required. It is solider proof...... If you can't hit with this, you can't hit with anything."
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 10-14-18 at 06:48.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Hah, the Gun Mag industry was what first opened my eyes to fake news, make a big enough ad buy and your sh@t walked on water.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast