Thread: modular Sig 9mm: P250, P320 and M17

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

modular Sig 9mm: P250, P320 and M17

So, I have to admit. I am a rifle guy. I love my Sig pistols, but in reality, I know enough to be dangerous. I have basically three pistols. I say basically, because I have more than that, but some are variants of the main theme. First, I am 100% 9mm. Nothing special about 9mm. I could go with 10mm or .40 cal, but somewhere in that middle range of semi-automatic cartridges. I will never be a .380 Auto guy, and revolvers are not my thing, so .38 is out. I will admit, one day I would like a 1911, so a .45 ACP has to be in my future as well. But, I like uniformity of ammo, so I don't have to think about what ammo I am picking up. Right now, I know that all pistol ammo I have is 9mm.

I started life with a Glock Gen1 17, and I also now have a Glock 19 as a carry weapon. Then, I went to Sig. I just love my Sig P226. In fact, I am not sure there is a better handgun on the market. I don't count the Legion, as it is really a P226. I then bought a P320, and love the modularity. To round things out, I also have the S&W M&P full size. I bought a compact for Mrs. Longshot to use, and then a Shield for her to carry. I have not yet gone to the M&P 2.0, as I am not sure what was wrong with the 1.0.

Back to the Sig P320. I am a little confused. This gun was the prototype for the US Army's modular weapon. So, how is the P320 different from the P250, which seems to be the same handgun to me. And now the Army has the M17, and there will be a civilian version available this summer. How is the M17 different from the P320?

Here is a blog on the M17 and video for those who have not seen the M17 Army handgun: https://charliescustomclones.com/blo...t-out-to-larry

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The p250 was/is a hammer fired DAO handgun, while the p320 & M17 are striker fired. Both the p250 and p320/M17 use the same sort of modular chassis system, with the p250 having been developed first.

The M17 is the p320 variant that came out of the modular handgun competition.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 02-13-18 at 11:55.

Feedback Score
    Some parts of the P250 and P320 interchange, such as grip modules, magazines, some parts in the serialized fire control unit IIRC (slide stop lever and spring, and some pins). Not sure if extractors, barrels and recoil spring assemblies interchange. The slide and many of its internal components, the rear sight, and most of the parts in the fire control unit, including the stripped FCU itself, do not interchange. I'm not sure how the "upgrade" affected interchangability.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    The p250 was/is a hammer fired DAO handgun, while the p320 & M17 are striker fired. Both the p250 and p320/M17 use the same sort of modular chassis system, with the p250 having been developed first.

The M17 is the p320 variant that came out of the modular handgun competition.
    Aha. I missed the hammer-fire on the P250. I know as a P320 owner that the polymer parts are the same. I know the M17 is the Army issue version, and we can think of the P320 as the XM17, while the Army was testing to get to final specs. Do we know what is different with the M17 from the P320? At SHOTSHOW, I heard from Sig that the M17 would be selling commercially later this year.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post
    Do we know what is different with the M17 from the P320? At SHOTSHOW, I heard from Sig that the M17 would be selling commercially later this year.

In this LAV video Phil Strader from Sig Sauer explains the differences between the military pistol and the commercial versions of the M17 that will be available at some point.

Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 02-14-18 at 08:23.