Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are you REALLY prepared for the SHTF?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good thread Doc, no one is truly prepared for SHTF as the variables are innumerable and most people don't really concern themselves with anything outside their personal circle or what's on their smartphone.

Both Selco and FERFAL have been discussed here many times. Every time I re-read their work I extrapolate something different.

One of the big take ways that several have mentioned in this thread is don't attract attention.

This has been posted before in other threads but it fits here so...

"In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    When it comes to "don't attract attention"

I have 2 schools of thought.

A retired FBI field agent who worked under the State Dept. who was stationed in Botswana, Angola, Tanzania, Zambia and Mozambique from 1995-2013 said the best way to not bring attention to yourself is to first: Do not interact or make small talk with anyone if you can avoid it, DO NOT dress like you know what you are doing, clothing should be simple-neutral palettes (greys & earth tones- nothing trendy, something that is past and present), DO NOT wander around, Do NOT ask questions that gives anyone the sense that you are somewhere you are not suppose to be or not from around your current location (don't ask for time, bathroom, directions, translation etc), Break cash up into smaller groups of cash, never carry a camera that is visible, keep all communication devices out of sight, always act normal (sit still, stand still, keep arms and hands from moving around), if people approach you- be courteous, but walk away and act busy like you have somewhere to be. At all times, know your surroundings, observe number of people, cars, streets, alleys, etc. If they are minding their own business, so should you.

This was basic advice that was given to a group of missionaries sponsored by Dallas Theological Seminary, about 140 men in total, that were going to build a church/school in Sudan along with a water well and water purification system for locals. They hired officials from State Dept., FBI, and military to help consult along with about 20 language professionals, sociologist, anthropologist and area experts .

TSA, police and several security personnel are trained to be observant of people and look for specific body language, specific indications of possible threats (back packs, sunglasses, hoodies, hats, gloves, walking funny, restlessness, anxiousness, aggressiveness, organization, speed motion, motionless facial expressions, tone of dialog, shuddering, confusion, stress, breaks in speech etc.)

Most of the Nazi leadership was caught after the war because they were too organized, too well versed and had too quick responses. The 911 hijackers were said to have been dressed like typical business men, acted like typical travelers, asked for typical help at airport, were heard talking about business and didn't throw off any alarms.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, another good book on the subject is "Left of Bang." I listened to it while driving across the country last year. It's a lot of "common sense" stuff that a lot of us kind of do instinctually, but it put words to it.

Another thing I've learned from time growing up in South Florida (I was hit by Andrew, Katrina, Wilma, and others), being stationed in the blizzards of Montana, and living around fire/earthquake regions of Central California: spend time now building your network of trusted friends.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    When it comes to "don't attract attention"

I have 2 schools of thought.

A retired FBI field agent who worked under the State Dept. who was stationed in Botswana, Angola, Tanzania, Zambia and Mozambique from 1995-2013 said the best way to not bring attention to yourself is to first: Do not interact or make small talk with anyone if you can avoid it, DO NOT dress like you know what you are doing, clothing should be simple-neutral palettes (greys & earth tones- nothing trendy, something that is past and present), DO NOT wander around, Do NOT ask questions that gives anyone the sense that you are somewhere you are not suppose to be or not from around your current location (don't ask for time, bathroom, directions, translation etc), Break cash up into smaller groups of cash, never carry a camera that is visible, keep all communication devices out of sight, always act normal (sit still, stand still, keep arms and hands from moving around), if people approach you- be courteous, but walk away and act busy like you have somewhere to be. At all times, know your surroundings, observe number of people, cars, streets, alleys, etc. If they are minding their own business, so should you.

This was basic advice that was given to a group of missionaries sponsored by Dallas Theological Seminary, about 140 men in total, that were going to build a church/school in Sudan along with a water well and water purification system for locals. They hired officials from State Dept., FBI, and military to help consult along with about 20 language professionals, sociologist, anthropologist and area experts .

TSA, police and several security personnel are trained to be observant of people and look for specific body language, specific indications of possible threats (back packs, sunglasses, hoodies, hats, gloves, walking funny, restlessness, anxiousness, aggressiveness, organization, speed motion, motionless facial expressions, tone of dialog, shuddering, confusion, stress, breaks in speech etc.)

Most of the Nazi leadership was caught after the war because they were too organized, too well versed and had too quick responses. The 911 hijackers were said to have been dressed like typical business men, acted like typical travelers, asked for typical help at airport, were heard talking about business and didn't throw off any alarms.
    I just laughed at #1. If you are in Africa, South America, South East Asia, basically anywhere thats not a typical "white" country, you are GOING to stick out.
    I advise you listen to some real experts.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

Interesting addendum. The Tide pods kids have got me RE-evaluating gear for the first time in 10 years, which could be labeled "SHTF" planning.

In my younger days (yeah, I'm a lowly, lowly civilian - & always have been - hence my lack of concern for "gear" in my younger days), "gear" consisted almost exclusively of, extra mags & ammo. In some cases, my rifles didn't even have slings!

So 10 years ago, my gear was 'upgraded,' with a UTG vest, and a 5.11 vest. Because my line of work means I'm in a coat & tie environment MOST of my waking hours, the 5.11 vest in particular was actually grey man for me. I was in the first couple of PA/OH/WV study group sessions running it, wherein I learned, that a 5.11 vest is GREAT... for leaving full mags on the deck. As Jay and a couple of others were showing us even then, the battle belt is the way to go HIGHER speed, LOWER drag.

10 years later... I've FINALLY gotten around to building my battle belt this month (I'll explain my setup in that thread eventually) - an HSGI/Esstac setup (you CAN teach an OLD civilian NEW tricks!). And I discovered in my gear... a nice, not even used, Eagle CR-M4/6-MS-LE-CCA chest rig that I'd picked up as part of a package deal off a local gunboard, wadded up at the bottom of my safe! AND it fits me!

In reading many of the newer gear threads here, I see the battle belt/chest rig setup is the way many folk roll now. And BEING 10 years older, having now joined AMAC (AARP can go pound sand!), and getting greyer & slower, I hafta agree that gear re-evaluation is a GOOD thing. The old saggy, UTG vest - that when loaded with JUST mags - probably weighed close to 50lbs, was ill-fitting, and of obviously poor quality. I don't even run with 40lbs of groceries anymore, much less gear! Not that it wouldn't be good exercise, which my tactically-padded self could surely use - it's just that the belt/rig setup is a more practical way to go - especially for an old guy like me.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I just laughed at #1. If you are in Africa, South America, South East Asia, basically anywhere thats not a typical "white" country, you are GOING to stick out.
    I advise you listen to some real experts.

There are a lot of whites is South Africa. Even in Tanzania, Botswana and Zambia , I've been a few times. Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Victoria, Jeffrey's Bay and Durban, A lot of British, a lot of German, Australian, and Americans live in those places. South Africa is a popular surf capital as well as a wealthy vacation spot for wealthy Europeans! In fact, Africa has countries like Morocco, Egypt, Libya, Algeria and Tunisia that are mostly Arabic and whites.

I have gone on mission trips and built schools/churches in Honduras, Venezuela, Columbia, Chad, Botswana, Nigeria and Angola- I assure you, our team of advisors are experts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Good thread Doc, no one is truly prepared for SHTF as the variables are innumerable and most people don't really concern themselves with anything outside their personal circle or what's on their smartphone.

Both Selco and FERFAL have been discussed here many times. Every time I re-read their work I extrapolate something different.

One of the big take ways that several have mentioned in this thread is don't attract attention.

This has been posted before in other threads but it fits here so...
    Short of having a trained squad of ex-military at your disposal there isn't much hope for coming out on top of the pre-planned assaults depicted in this video. Staying under the radar and unnoticed would be the best option.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Short of having a trained squad of ex-military at your disposal there isn't much hope for coming out on top of the pre-planned assaults depicted in this video. Staying under the radar and unnoticed would be the best option.
    One of the things this video highlighted is that if you are running a homestead / farm you are going to be making noise which will attract attention. Noise carrries...

Raiders got nothing but time on their hands to recon and pillage. You have to have patrols out and about and super bowl level PERSEC.

When SHTF not everyone is going to be amateur night, there are a lot of squared away people out there to include criminal elements, rouge LE, ex-military, et al. all vying for limited resources.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 04-10-18 at 16:12.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234