Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you REALLY prepared for the SHTF?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EODbusch View Post
    This 100%! Relating back to the OP, he almost stresses not showing off that you are wealthy, or almost prepped. I like to live by that in most everything I do...kind of hard at my size, but not standing out will help you in the long run. People will look for the easiest most noticeable targets.
    Agreed. Start now "blending in."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I picked up a dual fuel generator last year and had my house wired for a plug.
    What brand/type generator did you get?

I'd prefer diesel, but also have propane at the house. Which would push me back toward a gas/dual setup.
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 02-27-18 at 19:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Agreed. Start now "blending in."

I already do. I live in an older neighborhood outside a major city across the street from a nice park. My house doesn't look like anything of interest. It's what my plans are for that park once SHTF and society collapses that is interesting. Simply, I plan on first blocking all the streets surrounding the park forming a fortress ring of houses as a barrier. I'll gain trust from the locals as we work together to "secure our neighborhood". I'll quickly rise through the ranks becoming the go to guy since I already had a plan long before anything went down. What will start initially as me giving advice will then turn to me subtly giving orders over time. People outside the neighborhood will notice and wanting protection they'll be drawn to join our ranks. The people already inside the neighborhood fortress won't want to be out ranked by the newcomers so I'll suggest some kind of ranking system furthering my leadership qualities in the minds of those whom I intend to rule. As time goes on I'll become more controlling but not so much to alert anyone of my actual intentions.

We'll work together as "equals" initially collectively farming the green areas in the park, taking turns serving as sentries to secure the perimeter, distributing food, keeping our water wells full, accounting for supplies- all while I begin construction on a full scale Thunderdome right in the middle. I won't tell anyone what it's for- simply that it will serve as a storage facility later on. No one will be the wiser and they'll even be eager to help me build it. Eventually once it's complete we'll capture some "bad guys" outside the perimeter and now having gained full trust of the community- I'll say that we should sentence them to fight to the death in the Thunderdome with of course a promise that whomever lives will be set free. This will show that not only do I believe in justice but I also believe in mercy. The people will go along with it not knowing what is going on but eventually the Thunderdome will become the center of all community entertainment- cementing my position as group leader but also serving as a purposeful reminder to those who cross me.

I figure I'll need some type of title as our army grows raiding neighboring villages, so I've settled on "Lord Humungus" for now but that can always change. Within ten to twenty years after societal collapse I'll probably control most of the Midwest and favorable trade routes through North America. Anyway our raids will basically go something like this.

LOL

7n6

Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 02-27-18 at 18:55.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    [QUOTE=pinzgauer;2603280][QUOTE=czgunner;2599508]I picked up a dual fuel generator last year and had my house wired for a plug.

I'd prefer diesel, but also have propane at the house. Which would push me back toward a gas/dual setup.
    I've been wanting one for sometime now, just haven't done it. I have a 1000 gallon propane tank so fuel would not be an issue (at least not initially).
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    [QUOTE=pinzgauer;2603280][QUOTE=czgunner;2599508]I picked up a dual fuel generator last year and had my house wired for a plug.

Champion from Costco.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I already do. I live in an older neighborhood outside a major city across the street from a nice park. My house doesn't look like anything of interest. It's what my plans are for that park once SHTF and society collapses that is interesting. Simply, I plan on first blocking all the streets surrounding the park forming a fortress ring of houses as a barrier. I'll gain trust from the locals as we work together to "secure our neighborhood". I'll quickly rise through the ranks becoming the go to guy since I already had a plan long before anything went down. What will start initially as me giving advice will then turn to me subtly giving orders over time. People outside the neighborhood will notice and wanting protection they'll be drawn to join our ranks. The people already inside the neighborhood fortress won't want to be out ranked by the newcomers so I'll suggest some kind of ranking system furthering my leadership qualities in the minds of those whom I intend to rule. As time goes on I'll become more controlling but not so much to alert anyone of my actual intentions.

We'll work together as "equals" initially collectively farming the green areas in the park, taking turns serving as sentries to secure the perimeter, distributing food, keeping our water wells full, accounting for supplies- all while I begin construction on a full scale Thunderdome right in the middle. I won't tell anyone what it's for- simply that it will serve as a storage facility later on. No one will be the wiser and they'll even be eager to help me build it. Eventually once it's complete we'll capture some "bad guys" outside the perimeter and now having gained full trust of the community- I'll say that we should sentence them to fight to the death in the Thunderdome with of course a promise that whomever lives will be set free. This will show that not only do I believe in justice but I also believe in mercy. The people will go along with it not knowing what is going on but eventually the Thunderdome will become the center of all community entertainment- cementing my position as group leader but also serving as a purposeful reminder to those who cross me.

I figure I'll need some type of title as our army grows raiding neighboring villages, so I've settled on "Lord Humungus" for now but that can always change. Within ten to twenty years after societal collapse I'll probably control most of the Midwest and favorable trade routes through North America. Anyway our raids will basically go something like this.

LOL

7n6

Haha that’s quite an elaborate plan!!

“Not shit! ENERGY!”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post

LOL

7n6

Great plan. At least you will make things interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    For me, SHTF is divided into (2) categories:

1: Natural disasters:

I live in Dallas which is the epicenter for tornado alley and where most super cells are formed. I have been in 2 tornados and have gone without power for up to 5 days.

I have also been in a flood and lost everything. It had rained for like 5 straight days and one night I woke up to no power and 2 ft of water in an 1st level townhome. The small creek that ran the back of the apartment complex had spilled over and the townhome was located in a small valley off the highway that backed up to a small lake. The water eventually rose to 48". Its embarrassing but I had to stand around outside in my underwear for about an hour with about 50 other people who were wearing there underwear, robes and see through nightgowns- to this day I sleep in pants. I walked in waist deep water to get to my truck which wouldn't start only to walk around the entire complex in my underwear to get to the service road bridge which is where everyone eventually met up and where the firetruck met us with blankets. I wasn't allowed back into the complex for 1 week and only given 30 minutes and I ended up loosing everything except what I had hanging in the top row in the closet which was shirts and they smelled so bad I didn't collect them.

For these scenarios I have 2 Northface dry bags that I carry a pair of running shoes, 3 pack of boxers, 6 pack of socks, rain jacket, 2 pair of jeans, a pair of shorts, towel, blanket, belt, 3 t-shirts, 1 polo shirt, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, cologne, q-tips, small first aide kit, $200 cash and a roll of quarters. I keep both of those bags in the top shelve in my hallway closet. The $200 is to help me get by for the first couple hours, roll of quarters is for pay phone in case I loose my phone.

2: Riots, civil unrest, etc

I saw what happened in Baltimore and Ferguson and across the US. Like I said earlier, I live in Dallas and just a couple of years ago, 4 police officers were assassinated during a "peaceful protest", hell, we killed our President in the 60's.

If something like that ever got to be something that the police couldn't not handle or too big that it was out of control I would just get in my car and drive 1.5 hour north to my metal building around Lake Texoma.

For this scenario, I have my 2 dry bags but will get in my car, grab a few things, and just leave and monitor the situation by television and phone. I really don't want any part of that.

Feedback Score
    The war is at the brink of war, Russia wants Ukraine and other Small countries.
    China got a score to settle with japan
    South and North Korea are small fries.
    Israel can protect its own.
    Uk and France well, I think they will fall if invaded by a strong opponent.
    The “terrorist” people will side with whoever attacks the US.
    And the only thing that can get this started is a civil war, we are the only thing keeping the world together. Believe it or not, it’s the truth

Feedback Score
    .... ....
    Last edited by pronstar; 03-29-18 at 01:32.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast