Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indexing a three-prong flash hider?

Feedback Score
    So it's prongs at 2, 6 and 10 which gives slight protection from stuff coming up into the barrel especially when prone and possibly very slightly reduces muzzle climb due to the opening at 12.

Or it's prongs at 4, 8, and 12 which stops any gasses from coming straight up into line of sight.

Or?
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    So it's prongs at 2, 6 and 10 which gives slight protection from stuff coming up into the barrel especially when prone and possibly very slightly reduces muzzle climb due to the opening at 12.

Or it's prongs at 4, 8, and 12 which stops any gasses from coming straight up into line of sight.

Or?
    I was only thinking that having the opening at top dead center would stop dust from being kicked up in the prone. Even without flash, there would still be concussion exiting the muzzle and if it's directed down it would kick up dust.

I could be wrong: it's NOT a muzzle brake so the blast cone might be contained enough that debris is not kicked up even in the prone with a slot on the bottom.

Apparently the orientation doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-15-18 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    Hey Doc.

My .02, I have been under the impression these should always be timed with a solid at the bottom\6:00 position, just for the simply reason of, when one is shooting prone, to help with
    NOT kicking up dust/sand....

Peace Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I was only thinking that having the opening at top dead center would stop dust from being kicked up in the prone. Even without flash, there would still be concussion exiting the muzzle and if it's directed down it would kick up dust.

I could be wrong: it's NOT a muzzle brake so the blast cone might be contained enough that debris is not kicked up even in the prone with a slot on the bottom.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You're overthinking this. Just tighten it a bit and leave it alone, whatever orientation the prongs end up

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The way the flats line up you'll have one prong dead center, either top or bottom. You can time it however you choose. I can't find that there is a 'right' way. Myself, I've indexed mine prong to the top (SilencerCo not AAC).

Feedback Score
    FWIW, the Dead Air flash hider is designed to be timed with an open spot at 12:00/tine at 6:00. I base that on the fact that there's a pin hole at 6:00, which allows the suppressor to be attached with index mark at 12:00. I don't know if there's a pin hole on the AAC.

Like others said, without a suppressor it doesn't really matter. But I would probably still time it correctly to satisfy my OCD.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=jackblack73;2598800]

Like others said, without a suppressor it doesn't really matter. But I would probably still time it correctly to satisfy my OCD.[/QUOTE]

LOL Plus 1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I'm waiting for the post office to deliver this AAC Blackout flash hider, three-prong, not for use with a suppressor.

This version seems more appropriate with a crush washer?

I confess I looked for installation instructions online and only found instructions for the suppressor version.

What do you think?
    I found the instructions here http://www.advanced-armament.com/ass...structions.pdf
    In step four it says Do not use a washer with the Blackout flash hider. The design of the Blackout flash hider requires no timing.

Steve

Feedback Score
    Use timing washers not a crush washer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Given that 3-prong FHs do not need to be indexed in any certain way, I did choose to index mine with a single prong on top for aesthetics.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast