Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What pound recoil spring do you run in your gun?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Wilson Combat ships their 5" 45 with a 21/18, the 5" 9mms 19/11&12.5.

The 9mm should run any decent factory loaded 115-147 on the 12.5lb spring.

If you want to run light loads in the 45 a 21 or 23 lb main with a 14lb recoil will run fine.

All the flatwire nonsense is problem looking for a place to happen.

I still don't understand what people are trying to accomplish with the heavier recoil springs.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have not noticed much difference in springs. I thought the WC flatware game was just to increase spring life, which is largely a non issue. Recoil Springs are cheap and easy to change. Im rocking #17lb for now based on my new found knowledge.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-12-18 at 15:48.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Wilson Combat is using chrome silicon round recoil springs that are rated at 20K rounds. If you start having random FTFeed or mystery malfs, go back to the round spring. The flat wire in 5" guns is sometimes problematic.

I'm a big time Wilson fan, but some of their stuff is marketing fluff.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Wilson Combat is using chrome silicon round recoil springs that are rated at 20K rounds. If you start having random FTFeed or mystery malfs, go back to the round spring. The flat wire in 5" guns is sometimes problematic.

I'm a big time Wilson fan, but some of their stuff is marketing fluff.
    good feedback , thanks
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Just for my clarification - all the spring poundage recommendations were for standard pressure, correct?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Just for my clarification - all the spring poundage recommendations were for standard pressure, correct?

A 5" 45 will run +p just fine with a 16lb recoil spring. The limiting factor is usually mag springs. If they're not up to the task they'll inertia feed. A stiffer mainspring and/or a smaller radius on the firing pin stop is a much more efficient way to slow the slide speed than just stiffer recoil springs.

Feedback Score
    So after reading this thread again, is frame "battering" a myth?

I was just poking around WC's website and they suggested 18lb with full power to reduce frame battering?

Feedback Score
    Flat bottom firing pin stop, Colt dual recoil springs, and a 23lb mainspring in a Colt Government model.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Fit a new Kart barrel to my Colt 9mm. This is a range gun exclusively and is set up as such.
    I run 124 gr. PD or Zero JHP's at 1060 FPS and seat them long at 1.150" COAL. It is necessary to use a reamer and lengthen the leade for them to chamber.
    The longer COAL has been helpful with positive feed/function- the 9mm in a 1911 has had a reputation for erratic feeding due to the shorter COAL of the cartridge.
    I run a 9 lb. recoil spring, 21 lb. MS and use a Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop. I have had three failure to go into battery in 20K rds. with this set up- they were due to lousy reloads.
    The new barrel has required a 10 lb. RS due to not being fully lapped in.

50 yd. benched group- about 1.75".

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What's the logic behind running a flat bottom firing pin stop and 21lb mainspring on a 9mm?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast