Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What pound recoil spring do you run in your gun?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I run this setup with my Colt 38 Super, but i get malfs when I use a Wilson Shock Buff. The slide wants to lock back prematurely.
    Interesting. No issues I can attribute to the shok buff in mine. Still using the original shok buff that came with the flat wire kit, about 5000 rounds now and my plan is to use to failure.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop, with a 64th” chamfer effectively slows slide velocity.
    It also (subjectively) softens the recoil impulse.
    I use one with a 21# MS and 16# Recoil Spring.
    No issues with full power .45 ACP- and I like this combination.
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-16-18 at 10:23.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Interesting. No issues I can attribute to the shok buff in mine. Still using the original shok buff that came with the flat wire kit, about 5000 rounds now and my plan is to use to failure.
    I'm not using the flat wire kit. Maybe that's what it is.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For a 5" 45 shooting hardball I run a 32 coil Colt which around 14 pounds. I also run a 23lb main and a Harrison 3/64" radius firing pin stop.

I really dislike and disagree with heavy recoil springs.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

What pound recoil spring do you run in your gun?

18lb chrome silicon recoil spring.
    21lb main spring.

Running this combo with both my Wilson’s and my TRP. Shoots very smooth and I have not had any issues with any factory loads I’ve tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nightstalker865; 02-17-18 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I will say it is interesting the wide variety of opinions on springs. Let me toss this out. My Springfield’s are much tighter fitting than my colt. Everything is tighter than Colts. Does it make any sense that Colts May enjoy stronger springs due to their design, or is that logic nonsense.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    14lb recoil, 17 pound mainspring, stock Colt radiused firing pin stop.

Unlocks fast, less flip, doesn't dip the muzzle on RTB. Stock SA pistols have a 23 pound mainspring I believe. Not my forte.

Lower mainspring weight will lighten the trigger a bit.

If I was running a suppressed 1911 I would up the spring weights probably. Would make it a bit quieter.
    Last edited by foxtrotx1; 02-17-18 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    “Tight” really has nothing to do with spring weight.
    I have Les Baers, that are known for being fit stupid tight, that run like a sewing machine with 15# Recoil springs.
    I run 9 or 10# springs in a couple, very tightly fitted, custom Colts in 9 mm.
    A recoil springs prime function is stripping a round from Mag and returning to battery.
    The MS primarily slows slide on recoil, with type/profile of Firing Pin Stop a factor as well.

I’ll add- you can shoot a 1911 WITHOUT a recoil spring with no damage to pistol, it obviously won’t return to battery.
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-17-18 at 15:18.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    ^This guy understands how a 1911 works.

Running a light mainspring and a heavy recoil spring is the worst of both. The slide still travels back fast, which exacerbates magazine issues, but it travels forward faster too, beats the slide stop and the lower lugs. Most people will find that a lighter recoil spring shoots flatter and softer than a stiff one.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    “Tight” really has nothing to do with spring weight.
    I have Les Baers, that are known for being fit stupid tight, that run like a sewing machine with 15# Recoil springs.
    I run 9 or 10# springs in a couple, very tightly fitted, custom Colts in 9 mm.
    A recoil springs prime function is stripping a round from Mag and returning to battery.
    The MS primarily slows slide on recoil, with type/profile of Firing Pin Stop a factor as well.

I’ll add- you can shoot a 1911 WITHOUT a recoil spring with no damage to pistol, it obviously won’t return to battery.
    Intersting, learn sumpin new everyday. Thanks
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast