Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What pound recoil spring do you run in your gun?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    How does a brother know he needs a new mainspring? As long as the gun is shooting good, Im good, but I don't want to be beating my gun to death because I don't know my springs lifespan.
    A 23lb main will last at least as long as the barrel, probably as long as the frame.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I spoke of this in another thread but this is such a knowledge based thread I wanted to inquire here.

I picked up a used TRP. It had the goofy one piece GR and a aftermarket Wilson extended slide stop. Ironically is ran fine with three different mag types, except Wilson Combat mags would not lock back. Go figure. I shot it at range that it was shipped to, so when I brought it home I stripped and cleaned. It was shipped filthy, who sells a flthy gun??WTF, but whatever.

I changed out the guide rod and noticed the spring just looked shitty. Don't ask me why, it just looked cheap. So I grabbed a spring that was shipped with my NHC, (not sure weight) as the previous owner put in the Wilson skinny flat wire deal in the gun. And shipped that original recoil spring from NHC in box. It was handy and came from NHC, so I tossed in the TRP.

I take it to range today and it it locks back on everything. Ball and Plus P Ammo. Locked every time on every mag.

Based on what I learned so far, I didn't think the new spring would fix my problem. Did it slow the slide enough to catch the mag? What says you experts? Im very happy, I kinda liked the initial feel of the slide stop and didn't want to buy another.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-01-18 at 18:03.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    for years I ran the standard 16# 23# till I took the 10-8 Armorers class (2012). It was suggested that heavy ball or duty ammo use....raise up to an 18.5 and change regularly (I have the round count somewhere). So I switched.....for whatever reason.....I developed some wrist pain (I is over 50) with my primary hand.

I was emailing Hilton Yam who said the jarring return of the slide using the 18.5 recoil spring may be the cause. he suggested I switch back to 16# and change it more frequently. I did, my wrist pain went away.

No rock throwing....I have been using buffs since the early 90s. I change them frequently and never had an issue. I like them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I like buffs. I have one in my 9mm Wilson right now. They damp the shock transferred to your body and they increase reliability in some cases.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    for years I ran the standard 16# 23# till I took the 10-8 Armorers class (2012). It was suggested that heavy ball or duty ammo use....raise up to an 18.5 and change regularly (I have the round count somewhere). So I switched.....for whatever reason.....I developed some wrist pain (I is over 50) with my primary hand.

I was emailing Hilton Yam who said the jarring return of the slide using the 18.5 recoil spring may be the cause. he suggested I switch back to 16# and change it more frequently. I did, my wrist pain went away.

No rock throwing....I have been using buffs since the early 90s. I change them frequently and never had an issue. I like them.

Thanks for the pics, I never knew where they went lol. I have a few in inventory but was like , How do it work ???

Im thinking a 17Lb is the max I want to run. Im 56, pretty stout but still 56 years old, not young !!

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-01-18 at 22:51.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have at least 5000 rounds on my Shok buff, when I took off the top end to install the .22 conversion it looked indented but zero tears. In my Super Auto the #15 Wilson flat wire runs everything except underpowered stuff in which case a switch to a #13 does the trick. To my hand or feel the recoil stroke with the flat wire spring feel smoother and more constant. Still using the standard Colt #23 MS. I am going to experiment with a small radius firing pin stop.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If the impact surface on the slide is flat and dehorned a shok-buff will last a long time. I always tossed 'em around 1000-1500 rounds, but had a few that went much longer.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

What pound recoil spring do you run in your gun?

Ran the TRP with a fresh 21lb hammer spring and 17lb flat wire recoil spring setup. Gun functions flawlessly and feels better than the 19lb hammer/18.5lb recoil combo I was using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    Ran the TRP with a fresh 21lb hammer spring and 17lb flat wire recoil spring setup. Gun functions flawlessly and feels better than the 19lb hammer/18.5lb recoil combo I was using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TRP best bang for the buck IMHO. I love those guns. My black one is so beat the magwell has turned silverfish. Must be a different finish than the base of the gun. Only thing I changed was the front site to Novak front NS with white circle, so my old eyes can pick it up.

I changed a few springs out to new 17lb springs as well. I also bought a couple of the Wilson Flat wire set ups. Im glad someone else got sumpin out of this thread.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-11-18 at 19:38.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    My WC 5"" 9mm's came with a flat spring 12# range, 5" 1911 in 45acp came with wound wire in 18.5lbs.
    Changed the guide rod to fit a 17" flat coil spring. I also ordered a 13# for 9mm +P ammo and a 15# flatwire
    for 185/200 grain target and JHP in 45. I do not have ant hammer springs to goe yo or down with.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast