Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current assessment of FN Military Collector M16A4?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why not just buy a Colt? Then you don't have to worry about the TDP stuff, and no F'n around with 80% lowers either.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    Why not just buy a Colt?
    See my original post again:

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    Where I’m going with this is that I carried an FN M16A4 briefly on a deployment and would like to have a clone of that rifle with as many FN parts as possible.
    It kind of defeats the purpose of trying to clone the FN rifle that I carried in Iraq if I buy a Colt.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    That’s where I was going in the OP - there have been tons of discussions about how no commercial rifles except Colt’s can be truly MILSPEC because they can’t legally use the TDP, but I’m not sure how that is implemented in actual practice. Do manufacturers like FN deliberately change the metal they use for the FCG, for example, do they intentially change the shape of the hammer, or do they simply use parts from the same vendors that perhaps aren’t tested in the same way to ensure that they meet the MILSPEC. Is this Military Collector M16A4 essentially the same rifle internally, but it hasn’t gone through the same testing?

This comparison video shows how the FN rifle is missing the markings on the BCG that are required by the government contract. Is that the only difference?

Making an M16A4 Clone Rifle

That’s what I was hoping to get more information about. Most of the original comments about this rifle centered around the writing on the lower receiver and the one comment I mentioned about the stock having a plastic buttplate. Is there really any difference in the material, design, and specs of the parts used in this commercial rifle vs. the military M16A4? I’m not sure we could tell without disassembling the two of them side by side and doing some thorough tests on the materials used to make the components.
    Took some pics of my fn15’s bcg and barrel to give you some idea of the components being used, which I can only assume, would be the same between the two models.
    Ugly roll marks and true clone-ness aside, the internal parts seem gtg although I have no way to test the materials used. I own a 6920 and 2 BCMs and my untrained eye can’t really discern a difference between BCG quality. I wanted a fun gun with irons to compliment the 16” rifles I already had with Aimpoints and 1-4 scopes on them. Time will tell if the FN holds up like my other rifles have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My 7 iron is more accurate than my capabilities. Same with my AR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pingdork View Post
    Ugly roll marks and true clone-ness aside, the internal parts seem gtg although I have no way to test the materials used.
    Thanks a lot for posting the photos. Since FN doesn’t seem to sell parts separately, and surplus components appear to be hard to come by, I think sort of cannibalizing a complete rifle might be the best way to keep it as pure FN as possible. I figure I can keep an eye out for an original surplus GI barrel, maybe a stripped upper receiver with the correct forge marks, and hopefully make it even more correct down the road.

I actually found my old serial number from that deployment 13 years ago, and FN was very helpful in confirming that it was one of their rifles produced in SC. I had slight doubts as to whether I remembered it being a Colt or FN rifle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    See my original post again:

It kind of defeats the purpose of trying to clone the FN rifle that I carried in Iraq if I buy a Colt.
    My bad, I should have fully read to OP

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No worries. To be honest, I was kind of hoping it was a Colt when I was digging up the old serial number, because that would have made it a lot easier to clone, but I’m kind of embracing the idea of building a more challenging subject.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pingdork View Post
    LGS in Tacoma happened to have one. I was there to buy some 30-30 ammo they had for cheap, walked out with the rifle. Been on the hunt for a 20” for a long time. Don’t see them available online that often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FN's website is showing them as discontinued:

https://fnamerica.com/discontinued-products/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I believe those are the first issue ones everyone was complaining about the current ones are on this page:

https://fnamerica.com/rifles/military-collector/
    Last edited by mack7.62; 02-18-18 at 18:19.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Not related to the OP but WTH is up with this guys fingernails?

https://fnamerica.com/rifles/fn-scar-series/

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Not related to the OP but WTH is up with this guys fingernails?

https://fnamerica.com/rifles/fn-scar-series/
    I'm not normally one to assume one's gender, but... judging from the color of the watch and the finger nail length and color, I'd say that's not a man, man.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast