Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Cutting the Cable" for Dummies

Feedback Score

"Cutting the Cable" for Dummies

Background: I don't watch that much TV. I'm a radio and internet guy. Since I recently upgraded to a smart phone I can do almost anything I want from the phone, but I'd like some limited internet and TV capability.

I basically have had enough of paying Comcast's exhorbitant prices, and DISH ain't much better.

I understand you have to have a digital converter box now to watch "free" TV.

How does that work?

Do I need an outside antenna like in the old days when you had this twenty-foot monstrosity in your yard?

I live in an area where most of the TV stations are 50+ miles away and I had really poor reception before cable and satellite.

I have the option of a microwave internet service which I used to use, but now bundle with my cable service.

Will I have good quality reception with the "free TV" digital converter box?

Which one is best?

Or do I just live in a world where TV choices suck and that's all there is to it?

I know I don't know enough even to ask the right questions, hence the thread title.

EDITED TO ADD: What I need is a technical tutorial 'n shit.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 12-28-18 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Background: I don't watch that much TV. I'm a radio and internet guy. Since I recently upgraded to a smart phone I can do almost anything I want from the phone, but I'd like some limited internet and TV capability.

I basically have had enough of paying Comcast's exhorbitant prices, and DISH ain't much better.

How does that work?

Do I need an outside antenna like in the old days when you had this twenty-foot monstrosity in your yard?

I live in an area where most of the TV stations are 50+ miles away and I had really poor reception before cable and satellite.

I have the option of a microwave internet service which I used to use, but now bundle with my cable service.

Will I have good quality reception with the "free TV" digital converter box?

Which one is best?

Or do I just live in a world where TV choices suck and that's all there is to it?

I know I don't know enough even to ask the right questions, hence the thread title.
    I haven’t had cable in 20 years. I have not regretted it one bit and I think my kids are better for it. If I want to watch a movie I just get the dvd and all my news online.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    We dropped cable a few months ago.

It has been a non event. We already use Netflix and Amazon Prime, and concluded we watched programming on TV less than once or twice a week.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bruh you can go either way on TV. They have pretty good external antennae that can pick up far away if you are rural or a cheap, stole ass mini antennae for $20 at Best Buy if you live in a city. I get 30 channels. Lots of retro and local stuff. For anything else, Hulu or Prime. I don't watch TV as much. And frankly, I still pull out the VHS at times. SCREEEEEEW cable and dish. Total chumpbait. You are paying up there for the privilege to flip around and say "nothing is on".

I too just stream although....there is this part of me that misses Blockbuster. Or most record stores. It was a record store clerk who turned me on to The Smiths in High School. Everybody was going through that BS gangster phase and Ska never took off like I liked but I got turned on to stuff I would have not thought of because MTV and VH1 played the same stupid crap. And it was a chap at Blockbuster who turned me on to some indie stuff. It was a social deal.
    I think Blockbuster has an app now but I wish it was better than netflix. No queer ass documentaries, no lame stuff, just a bright and cheery selection of what Blockbuster would be like today.

After I say every Black Mirror; I was done with Netflix. Plus...most stuff isn't worth watching now.

Feedback Score
    Iirc, the digital box is needed for new transmission, you still need an antenna.

Cable/dish is a rip. Money is better spent on hobbies IMO.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    We haven't had cable in 18 years and only really miss seeing sporting events...

I had a digital ready TV so I made this antenna a few years ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRW0OCd7LJI
    and hung it in the attic so it was at the highest point of the house with the best chance of receiving signals. We get all the major networks and and can watch network television as it happens. You only need the converter if your TV is quite old and not digital ready...

We recently got a Roku and use Netflix and HULU for movie options and other programing that we're stumbling across.
    We have an inexpensive Comcast internet service and pay $40 a month with plenty of speed for multiple devices, and the Roku, to all be running at the same time. I have the Roku connected to the router with an ethernet cable for a more reliable connection but you can do it via wifi as well if you choose.
    I am considering paying for Sling TV, through the Roku, as it will allow us to get the sporting events, and much more, that my boys and I would like to see. Their service is $40 per month...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I pay:

$60/mo for internet
    $15/mo for a streaming subscription (Sportz TV)
    @$3.50/mo Real Debrid subscription
    @$3.77/mo IPVanish VPN subscription

I use a 2nd Gen FireTV. With the SportzTV subscription and app along with a free Cinema HD app with the Real Debrid subscription, I get +8000 channels, most major city local stations, PPV events, all Movie stations (HBO, Showtime, etc). I can watch any Netflix, Network, Movie Station, YouTube Red, Hulu series I want on demand along with theater movies withing a reasonably short time of their release in 1080p (I don't have a 4K tv but there are links for 4k also). It's a no-brainer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some TV's have the digital converter built in. If not you get a $10-20 stand alone.

You can try a cheap indoor antenna first, but if you are rural and needed a rooftop antenna before you probably will now.

Use this:
    https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html
    To find out the direction of towers in your area. Try mounting your indoor antenna as high as possible with as few walls between it and the towers. In my attic but under the eave, on the wall facing the furthest towers got me pretty good reception. Eventually I bought a $50 outdoor antenna and put it on a pole, and this has been working great.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Just another comment about needing a digital box, which you don't, unless you're using a TV that's so old it won't accept a digital signal. If your TV has a cable jack on the back, it should take a digital signal. All you need then is an external antenna to pick up the signals. We've been running like this and saving the $ on cable for many years now.

As another note on over the air digital (boxes), there are some DVR's you can get into that will give you functionality similar to a cable box. Viewing guide, recording options, pause and rewind live tv, internet connectivity, smart tv apps, etc. Take a look at Channelmaster for a non-subscription option, and there are others.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post

How does that work? Just like it is called. It detects the signals and converts them from digital over to analog if your television is pre-2000's.

Do I need an outside antenna like in the old days when you had this twenty-foot monstrosity in your yard? Depends on your location, the location of the broadcasting towers, and the geography between you and it. Television signals are the same as radio but with the extra information for video in them.

I live in an area where most of the TV stations are 50+ miles away and I had really poor reception before cable and satellite. Most stations don't actually transmit from their location outside some of the bigger markets. A number of stations out West actually have repeaters throughout their states. It will depend on a) how strong the new digital output is, along with what frequency is used and b) the geography between you and the towers you may or may not have better reception.

Will I have good quality reception with the "free TV" digital converter box? Depends on the brand and quality of the converter box. Channel Masters are pretty good. Newer models from them are even better. However keep in mind the size/location of your antennae factors in as well.

Which one is best? Depends on the individual and what their situation is to be honest.

Or do I just live in a world where TV choices suck and that's all there is to it? Yes. Seriously, we do.

I know I don't know enough even to ask the right questions, hence the thread title. This is actually what I get paid to do on the civilian side of life. Drop me a PM if it you would like.

EDITED TO ADD: What I need is a technical tutorial 'n shit. Doc, I'm willing to put money down explaining things to you would be easier than explaining it to a newsie.

For reference, I work in the technical area of the local television station. We just got done with our FCC mandated frequency relocation about two weeks ago.
    Last edited by R6436; 12-28-18 at 16:07.
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast