Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building A Glock Clone

Feedback Score
    I did an 80% lower. It was an interesting experience. I don't have the press etc. or I might give an 80% polymer a go also.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I started looking into an 80 lower after reading this thread last week, it appears pretty damn easy.

The idea of building a glock from components was never on my radar but I am considering it after looking into it some. You can get OEM gen3 frames pretty inexpensively, and buy the rest of the components instead of buying a factory gun and swapping everything out and end up spending less money, especially if you want to put a RMR on it.

Feedback Score
    I made Polymer80 using a Dremel with the router attachment. Worked fine. The jig has sufficient flat surfaces on the top to support the router attachment.

I used a Brownells lower parts kit for a model 19. The slide lock spring was very much the wrong one.

Note that the Polymer80 frame is (largely) not compatible with Glock-sized holsters.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Lone Wolf has heard my cries and I’ll be able to swap barrels. I spoke too soon about their customer service.

I liked the idea of building a custom Glock just to have something different. That’s a big part of why I wanted to go 10mm. I won’t be able to use a 80% lower because of the large-frame requirement but I knew that going in. Between factory Glock 20 lowers and either stripped or completed Lone Wolf large frames coming out in a few months, I still have options. I’m confident that the end result will be a fun pistol to shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did an 80% with no press and just a dremel. It functioned fine after smoothing out the rails, but felt pretty cheap in the hand. Wasn't really worth the time and effort compared to a factory frame IMHO.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
    Wasn't really worth the time and effort compared to a factory frame IMHO.
    That's funny - I feel exactly the same about the factory frame. Too much time/effort/money to get the factory frame to feel like I want it to.

Feedback Score
    On a somewhat related matter, there is a case developing in Montgomery County State's Attorney office in Maryland regarding Alwin Chen. He is a student arrested for bringing a loaded gun and knife to Clarksburg High School. They are referring to the gun as a "homemade handgun." The photo with the story looks like a Polymer80.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    yup, it was a P80 - unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I recently ventured into this myself. It took me a while because I already have a Gen4 19, and I wasn't sure I wanted to do a whole other one; the parts list I had picked out was going to run me the price of two factory Glocks. However, I also have a Gen3 32, so I decided to track down a .40 barrel and parts kit. Then I could try out the P80 frame with as little out of pocket as possible. I just did the milling yesterday, and am hoping to finish the frame tonight and put it together.

So I won't really know until after some range time, but I am strongly inclined to like this gun. Immediately I liked the frame over the factory. My opinion; the grip angle, trigger guard undercut, and grip texture is superior to the factory gun. I'm interested to know how everyone else feels like they compare.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    My opinion; the grip angle, trigger guard undercut, and grip texture is superior to the factory gun. I'm interested to know how everyone else feels like they compare.
    Yup - I like the P80 frames for precisely the same reasons. The only con is that they don't fit my current no-light Glock holsters due to the wider trigger guard. So, I just use the P80 frames with lights attached, and they fit my holsters that index of the light vs. the trigger guard.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast