Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dog Owners, important recall intel

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I feed mine Victor Hi-Pro Plus. We are back in full time field trial training and he does very well on this food. Hard to believe people still feed their dogs that crap! Then again there are tons of people that eat nothing but fast food and other junk foods all day long. They probably feed their animals this same crap all the time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Our vet recommended Purina ONE Smart Blend Large Breed Puppy Formula and gave us weight guidelines for our GSD puppy. He gets a quarterly check-up and is doing well.

Our first Lab had major allergies and we found that she was most comfortable on the Blue Buffalo Grain-Free Chicken. Katie was allergic to virtually all grasses and grains plus most meats and us, which made for a short field career. The Blue Buffalo was a big help, that and a daily dose of prednizone helped her have 9 years of quality life.

When the vet okays us going to an adult food, I imagine we will feed him the same Blue Buffalo mix.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-16-18 at 11:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Our GSD eat Taste of the Wild, and that is the only food we feed them. No people food, no cheap dog food, no garbage.

Our vet approved it, and the research we have done online, as well as talking with other persons say it is one of the better pet foods.

https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

I was using Taste of the Wild for a year or so but then read they are made by Diamond processing- which in the past, under different labels, was using ingredients that were making dogs very sick or dying. I switched to Fromm about a year ago after talking to a trainer and breeders who specialize in high drive military/police dogs- which I own. Outside of raw, these guys were only using Fromm. The website dog food advisor rates companies based on their ingredient lists, getting something in the 4 to 5 star range is what you want to go for apparently. In addition I feed them a crockpotted pork loin with chopped green beans, carrots, and potatoes that I cook up every few weeks and put two scoops of that on top of their dry dog food. Plus I give them elk antlers to chew on under supervision to keep their teeth clean, never letting them chew on the antlers unless I'm watching. In the winter I also put a tablespoon of coconut oil on their food to keep their skin from getting to dry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Our GSD eat Taste of the Wild, and that is the only food we feed them. No people food, no cheap dog food, no garbage.

Our vet approved it, and the research we have done online, as well as talking with other persons say it is one of the better pet foods.

https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/
    Lamb Taste of the Wild for my dogs they love it
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    thx for the heads up - all safe here.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I was using Taste of the Wild for a year or so but then read they are made by Diamond processing- which in the past, under different labels, was using ingredients that were making dogs very sick or dying. I switched to Fromm about a year ago after talking to a trainer and breeders who specialize in high drive military/police dogs- which I own. Outside of raw, these guys were only using Fromm. The website dog food advisor rates companies based on their ingredient lists, getting something in the 4 to 5 star range is what you want to go for apparently. In addition I feed them a crockpotted pork loin with chopped green beans, carrots, and potatoes that I cook up every few weeks and put two scoops of that on top of their dry dog food. Plus I give them elk antlers to chew on under supervision to keep their teeth clean, never letting them chew on the antlers unless I'm watching. In the winter I also put a tablespoon of coconut oil on their food to keep their skin from getting to dry.

Good info, thank you sir.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I feed mine Victor Hi-Pro Plus. We are back in full time field trial training and he does very well on this food. Hard to believe people still feed their dogs that crap! Then again there are tons of people that eat nothing but fast food and other junk foods all day long. They probably feed their animals this same crap all the time.
    I shite you not, my Father feeds his Golden Retriever and Pug-Mutt burgers and such when he gets them from fast-food. He's one of those people who has to get something for his dogs if he's getting food.

Coming from a home where our dogs got their own thanksgiving plate made up and put on the floor for them when we all ate is the reason why I crate trained and started our Dachshund/Lab mix on a Meat/Rice diet (granted a lot of that was due to her having contracted parvo before we brought her home) and switched to the Pure Balance dry foods.

It's more middle grounds, I believe it had a high 90s scoring on food comparisons. It's the cheaper one and isn't technically "grain free" but whatever we were giving her before (we tried a few other brands prior) such as Taste of the Wild would give her itchy pads. She'd lick them for quite awhile in irritation. After we switched to the Pure Balance, it stopped.

So, that's what we stick to. 30 dollars every couple pay days is more than fair to me as a pet owner. If anything, it's sided to me.

Nonetheless, we don't really feed her canned food. If I plan on giving her solid food, I mix up some rice and venison, or rabbit, or whatever game I have on hand during the seasons. That happens a couple times a month, so she still gets some real meats.

Here she is in all of her 30 pounds of tubular mass. Seriously, I wish I had a better picture. She has a lab face/head/fur on a larger sized dachshund body. Stubbier legs and longer body.

Last edited by HeruMew; 02-20-18 at 10:17.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123