Thread: Finish-wise, which is "better"?

Feedback Score

Finish-wise, which is "better"?

Hard chrome or chromium nitride?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Hard chrome is a plating of pure chromium, typically from a hexavalent bath.
    Chromium nitride is what you get after a treatment to chrome (like ferritic nitride)

Whats the application? I suppose you could nitride chrome plating, though i dont know the process and may cause issues(like changing the temper of the substrate) leading to a net negative effect on the final product.

Edit, looks like CrN can be vapor deposited... but again, dont know the process or how it could be applied to gun parts.
    Are you seeing CrN coated gun parts for sale?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-15-18 at 19:33.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Where are you seeing "Chromium nitride" being offered?
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 02-15-18 at 20:38.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Where are you seeing "Chromium nitride" being offered?
    Its basically Ionbonds DLC. Its been used on gun parts for a while but I havent seen it offered much lately.

DLC coating for highly loaded industrial components and high volume automotive applications
    Ionbond’s Tribobond™ 42 DLC, CrN + a-C:H, coating is engineered for very highly loaded components. It combines a high load carrying capacity and fatigue resistance with a high wear resistance and still exhibits very low friction properties.

Tribobond™ 42 DLC presents an excellent performance on valve train (e.g. tappets) and crank train components (e.g. piston pin/ring). State of the art common rail and unit injector components are protected with Tribobond™ 42 in order to improve the robustness and lifetime of fuel pump and fuel injection systems.

Performance
    Ionbond’s Tribobond™ 42 DLC is especially designed to run under combined rolling and sliding situations. It combines properties of extreme fatigue resistance, a very low coefficient of friction, and high wear resistance within one coating system. In operation, this coating architecture provides extreme protection of the coated part, as well as the counterpart.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 02-15-18 at 23:19.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have a barrel and BCG which were DLC'd. In my best Vietnamese it's phukking amazing. But, it's near impossible to find places to have it done.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Its basically Ionbonds DLC. Its been used on gun parts for a while but I havent seen it offered much lately.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    JP Enterprises Enhanced bolt is chromium nitride. I have one in my parts bin and was wondering how it stood up to hard chrome.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Would this be a similar coating to BCMs Ion Bond on their FDE BCGs?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Chromium Nitride is a PVD in the same family as TiN, DLC, and AlTiN. They're used on drill bits because of their hardness. It's what Cryptic Coatings uses on their bcgs, but they polish them before coating.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMP84 View Post
    Chromium Nitride is a PVD in the same family as TiN, DLC, and AlTiN. They're used on drill bits because of their hardness. It's what Cryptic Coatings uses on their bcgs, but they polish them before coating.
    The JP bolt I have is chrome looking, i.e. dull silver-ish.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    The JP bolt I have is chrome looking, i.e. dull silver-ish.
    I know, I meant that Cryptic polishes THEIR bcgs before the coating is applied. That's why it looks different than the typical PVD/CVD coatings. I have a chrome bolt and a couple phosphate bolts that I had coated in Ionbond DLC. The finish on the phosphate ones is notably darker than the chrome. The look of PVD coatings is somewhat dependant substrate material.