Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Fever is eating me alive

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    Got it again myself. Just bought a Colt Competition series in .38 Super
    I have eyeballed that one a few times now.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks fellows, I bought myself a set up. Its strange that the best Non custom gun on planet earth has this BS set up, but that be as it may, Im GTG !

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    PB-

Get a GI guide rod, standard recoil spring plug and throw the FL guide rod set out.
    A 16# recoil spring was JMBs original design and what I use (with 21# MS).
    I’m also a fan of a flat bottom firing pin stop (which was also original design).
    EGW is where I shop 1911 parts.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Colts are the best plugs. They have a dimple on the end so you can screw it on the recoil spring to prevent shooting yourself with it when you take down the pistol.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...acturer_1=COLT

Wilson solid stainles short rod:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...ILSON%2bCOMBAT
    Thanks again guys
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Definitely a good choice dumping the flgr. Throw up some pics when you get a chance.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    PB-

You may well know this already, but is worth repeating if you don't.
    Here's how to remove a 1911 slide without the use of a bushing wrench, or having to fight the barrel bushing under tension.
    (An old AMU armorer/competitor showed me this 25+ years ago, but here's a Youtube video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjKxOBhXxU

Feedback Score
    Hey PB., This thread is Useless without PIX

By the way, I don't understand what peps problems are with the FLGR...
    I've been running My Caspian,(of all My 1911's, this IS My Fav.) for I don't know 12 +/- yrs. now, without issue of any kind because of said FLGR,.... And on the same token, I've been running my SS Colt Commander{I bought these at the sametime} (which the Commander has the PLUG) again, without issue of any kind due to the Recoil spring PLUG,... Both of them are Great shooters, although, I do favor the Caspian. Don't tell my Colt, I don't want to upset her.

By the way PB., Congrads. with your TRP!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think it is not flgr that is so bad, it’s just the one on the TRP is a shitshow I have run them in the past with no issue as well.

I will try to set up a Imgur account and post my new NHC & TRP.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    PB-

You may well know this already, but is worth repeating if you don't.
    Here's how to remove a 1911 slide without the use of a bushing wrench, or having to fight the barrel bushing under tension.
    (An old AMU armorer/competitor showed me this 25+ years ago, but here's a Youtube video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjKxOBhXxU
    Interesting video, in all years I’d never seen that approach. And with these super tight Springers this might be awesome.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-16-18 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Funny - that's the only way I knew how to take apart my 1911's for years, as that's how I was taught more than 30 years ago. I didn't own a bushing wrench until recently when I bought some tighter-fitting bushings from EGW.

Feedback Score
    LOL PLUS 1, I just haven't been at it for 30 yrs. yet..

Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Funny - that's the only way I knew how to take apart my 1911's for years, as that's how I was taught more than 30 years ago. I didn't own a bushing wrench until recently when I bought some tighter-fitting bushings from EGW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast