Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The shotgun as a rifle

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theorangecat View Post
    Thanks for those vids/links!

toc
    You're welcome. I re-tested the sluggers with 9 rounds vs. 5.

Feedback Score
    Good stuff. I fully agree with your opinion that a smoothbore shotgun can be quite effective with slugs at 100 (or more), as do the results in many of your videos.

Appreciate you sharing.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by straitR View Post
    Good stuff. I fully agree with your opinion that a smoothbore shotgun can be quite effective with slugs at 100 (or more), as do the results in many of your videos.

Appreciate you sharing.
    You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Smoothbore shotguns rule, my 18.5" 870 does great with anything honestly. Great videos!!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I'm happy with my 870 and slugs. This was through a 14" cylinder bbl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I'm happy with my 870 and slugs. This was through a 14" cylinder bbl.

Good shooting!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Good shooting!
    Thanks. It was our last qualification. We maxed out at 25 yards. It's an awesome weapon.

"Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Always love your threads. I never got why LE chooses buckshot over slugs for a standard load. Seems just as devestating terminal effects with more flexibility for longer range engagements.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are many people who are good, decent people who for many reasons wont and probably should not carry a handgun on the street. But there is no reason their home should be undefended. Many of them have some experience from hunting with pump shotguns on operating them etc....

There is no reason for them to make the binary choice of: Spend $2500 on an AR15, accessories, classes and practice costs OR have nothing at all. There is a middle ground and the shotgun fills it well.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Always love your threads. I never got why LE chooses buckshot over slugs for a standard load. Seems just as devestating terminal effects with more flexibility for longer range engagements.
    I think there are several reasons:

1) The old 'alleysweeper' or 'streetbroom' myth. Once you got the old 'the shotgun is a point and shoot weapon that doesn't require precise aim' dogma going in law enforcement, it was hard to beat it out. Many admin folks, and even LE trainers, are not familiar with shotguns.

As late as 1981, my workplace was teaching stance directed hip shooting with the shotgun. Some old timers might remember that for several years Calibre Press was advocating a quasi sternum-mount shooting position with the shotgun.

Pure idiocy and madness.

2) Too much concern about over-penetration with slugs.

3) Many LE folks shy away from slugs due to recoil aversion - even with the excellent performing reduced recoil slugs almost every ammo maker produces.

4) Many folks think you cant use slugs effectively with bead sights.

Just a couple of examples.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast