Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be it ever so humble. My latest build

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Be it ever so humble. My latest build

I've been putting this one together for quite the while and the final (required for functioning) part arrived today, the bcg, a Young Manufacturing bcg to be exact. It's their NM unit and though I've not owned one personally, until now, I've shot rifles with them installed and researched exhaustively and have not read any negative remarks about them.
    A rundown of the parts: BCM upper and lower w/all BCM lower parts, Geissele S3G bang switch, a Vltor A5 system that has went on my last 2 builds, I really like using the A5, not just for the super feel and function but also the aesthetic of the Emod stock. It just appeals to me. BCM Mod3 grip that came on the lower but I may opt for an original Ergo soon. BCM Mod4 charging handle, YM BCG, HCS 16" mid-length RECCE barrel, HCS lo-pro gas block topped with an Allen Engineering Mk12 brake and collar set-up, Geissele Mk7 NM rail.
    Well, there it is folks, let me know what you think.
    Obviously, it's a bit heavy, especially for a 16" rifle and a lot of it is that NM rail even though I removed the steel weight bar/sling loop arrangement, but Im telling you, I have a real affinity for quad rails and this Geissele is about the finest one I've ever, ever seen. This thing is rock solid, the barrel nut is absolutely massive. Its a masterful design.
    I wanted this to be a 16" precision rifle and chose parts based on that premise. I didn't want it to be a bench only rifle but at at this weight I'll see how it goes. I don't have a scale ( other than my reloading scales &#128516 so I don't know the exact weight but I know it's pretty hefty.
    Yes, I do plan to use the proper can but right now it's still being held hostage, but, one of these days.Attachment 50560Attachment 50561Attachment 50562Attachment 50563Attachment 50564

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I've been contemplating a YM NM bcg for my SPR, you'll have to let me know how it works out for you. Looks like a quality build BTW, I look forward to the range report.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 02-21-18 at 22:59.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Hammerman, it was between the YM or a JP, I opted for what you see above. Ive never used either so my decision was based on what I could read, and how friendly Debbie Young was. Good veteran discount. Shipping was very fast too.
    These things are beautifully machined and the finish impeccable. All I know for sure at this point is that it fits in my upper perfectly centered at the back of the carrier checked using feeler gauges. I wondered before having it in hand about the increased contact surfaces noted in their description and how much of an increase there actually was, there's alot.
    All in all I'm totally satisfied so far.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Their products look top notch, and their reputation for customer service seems solid. At the time I was building mine I couldn't find any YM bcgs in stock anywhere, so I opted to purchase a Colt instead. I may purchase a YM in the future, as I prefer chrome over just about all other finishes, but it will have to wait until I find a smoking deal on one.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I looked for a while too and finally found this guy on GB who had one he was asking $240 for. It had been listed for months and didn't sell. So I asked if he would take $200 and he said sure. I asked for his PayPal or an invoice so we could complete the sale and never could get him to respond so just went straight to YM, and with a veteran discount paid $195. So it all worked out for the best.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Nice looking build. I've also heard some good things about Young Man. BCG's. Are you planning on using an Allen Engineering can in the future? What scope mount that and how in the world do you keep your shop bench so spotless and clean?!? Good job on your build. It feels good to finally get the first one finished. They do seem go come more frequently after that.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Nice looking build. I've also heard some good things about Young Man. BCG's. Are you planning on using an Allen Engineering can in the future? What scope mount that and how in the world do you keep your shop bench so spotless and clean?!? Good job on your build. It feels good to finally get the first one finished. They do seem go come more frequently after that.
    Robert, I love a clean, organized bench, you could say I'm a little OCD about it. I I don't do things this way I tend to loose crap like tools, parts or whatever I happen to be messing with. It doesn't always look like that but mostly, it does.
    I've always heard a lot of good about YM Bcg as well and I have to say, so far, they were all true. The thing is beautifully made, feels like there are some ball bearings in there somewhere but I can't find them and priced not too far outside a standard fare mil spec bcg. All my current bcg are BCM and they're great components some my future comparisons will be against them.
    The scope and rings are off my mk12. It's a vortex pst 2.5-10x32, the rings are ARMS 22s High model as was used on those particular rifles. Would I use them on something where they weren't historic ally correct? Probably not, especially with what's available today but for the mk12 they're correct. I'm hoping to get an optic set up for the wallet killer soon but I haven't decided exactly what yet.
    Thanks for your kind words, it was fun but I swear I think I get just as big of a high off of hunting down all the parts as I do from anything else. It's like building wooden boats, I like building them more than I do using them.
    I'll put up my mk12 soon but it still needs some small parts and it's not the most concourse replica but it's close I guess, close enough and yes, I am waiting for my AE can and it will be used on this one and the mk12.
    I've already built 4 and just bought 2 more receiver sets. Think I'm gonna get a WAO .224 Valkyrie barrel and bolt and try at least one that's not a 5.56.

Feedback Score
    Nice set up. My 16" is built with the same idea (and some of the same parts) in mind, but a bit lighter, kind of a SPR/RECCE hybrid. I can say, you will love the Young BCG. I have them in both my 16" and my SBR. They run perfectly, and wipe clean effortlessly.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    A MK12 is definitely in my future. I plan on using one of Monty’s Centurion Arms MK 12 barrels and will also go with the Ops12th collar and brake and the AE can. I think I’m going to run a PRI rails with hr locating extenders. It’s down the road, I have a few projects at various points between started and complete. What bipod? I know I’ve seen it before, but can’t recall. Also I’ve seen the ballistics on the .224 Valkyrie, I think if I violated my Rule of Commonality, that would be a strong contender. Just not there yet. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    A MK12 is definitely in my future. I plan on using one of Monty’s Centurion Arms MK 12 barrels and will also go with the Ops12th collar and brake and the AE can. I think I’m going to run a PRI rails with hr locating extenders. It’s down the road, I have a few projects at various points between started and complete. What bipod? I know I’ve seen it before, but can’t recall. Also I’ve seen the ballistics on the .224 Valkyrie, I think if I violated my Rule of Commonality, that would be a strong contender. Just not there yet. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I too used Montys barrel and brother I'm here to tell you, it will shoot. I had him pin his Gas block to it too and I got the creakote on it. I was asked not to say what specifically, but Lamont and Corrie did me a MAJOR solid with my Mk12 and I can not say enough about what absolutely great, great people these two are. Please give them some of your business, in any capacity, be it a part or parts, have them perform a service for you, maybe something you can't do yourself. Look, they're just great people and we should support them if we can.
    Oh, and I also got my Ops Inc brake from them as well. And, by the way, and I don't think it says so on their site, but Monty WILL assemble your rifle for you and I can't think of a better man than him to build me a Mk12. He has some serious credentials.
    Are you looking to build an as true as possible mk12? I'm guessing you are wanting a mod0 since you mentioned the PRI rail. If I'm right, I happen to have a few of the parts you would need for that build. You can pm me if you want. Even if you want the mod1 I have some parts for that too.
    As to the bipod, all I know is for a mod1 it would have to be a Harris I believe. But, I don't know half as much as many here.
    I think the Val looks pretty amazing. Do yourself a favor and Che k out Johnnys Reloading Bench on YouTube. He is doing a series on the Val. He does great vids.
    Last edited by BillB; 03-06-18 at 22:29.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast