Thread: Min dB reduction?

Feedback Score

Min dB reduction?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what you think is the minimum dB reduction is for ear pro -let's assume I shoot a mix of shotgun, handgun, and my AR.

Also, if you have any personal recommendations for eye pro please give me a heads up. I am currently using some cheap shooting glasses.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Hey guys,

I was wondering what you think is the minimum dB reduction is for ear pro -let's assume I shoot a mix of shotgun, handgun, and my AR.
    You can't really have enough noise reduction ration (NRR), hearing loss can occur with continuous exposure to sounds under 85db so the more reduction the better.

I firmly believe that if you shoot a lot, you will suffer some degree of hearing loss, even if you religiously wear ear pro at all times.

Generally, I try to double up, wearing roll up foamies and electronic muffs. It depends on the activity and the duration.

Generally properly inserted earplugs provide the best protection, with the old foamie rollups going up to 31db NRR. Notice - properly fitted - http://www-esh.fnal.gov/CourseHandout_Mat/earplug.pdf

Muffs generally run from 18 to 26db NRR, with a couple that advertise up to 30. Fit is important on the muffs, also. They need to be sealed tight, a big problem is often the temples of the shooters eye-pro.

Double protecting doesn't double the noise reduction. When using double protection, OSHA suggests adding 5 dB to the rating of the most protective device.

Fitting is important:

How do I use Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) value to determine the protection provided by a hearing protector?

NIOSH recommends using subject fit data based on ANSI S12.6-1997 [or most current edition] to estimate hearing protector noise attenuation.

If subject fit data are not available, NIOSH recommends derating hearing protectors by a factor that corresponds to the available real-world data. Specifically, NIOSH recommends that the labeled NRRs be derated as follows:

Earmuffs – Subtract 25% from the manufacturer’s labeled NRR
    Formable earplugs – Subtract 50% from the manufacturer’s labeled NRR
    All other earplugs – Subtract 70% from the manufacturers labeled NRR

TLR In other words, underestimate your protection and use as much as you can.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-17-18 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    Always double up. http://sixty-six.org/files/GUNFIGHTE...OM_ear_pro.pdf
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys! I went for non-electronic Browning muffs w/ a NRR of 36. I will start doubling up either way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    This. Silencers count.
    Muffs/foams
    Muffs/suppressor
    Foam/supressor

Electric earpro shines here as i can still hear well with plugs in.

Ive had muffs pop up, and glasses seem to break the seal often.

Feedback Score
    I'm starting to double up. I don't see how the ear pro is not doing any good if you don't "perceive" the loudness but I'll err on the side of safety.

Feedback Score
    I honestly don't understand dudes that aren't serious about EarPro. I literally don't go near live guns without earpro in. You only get one set of eyes, ears, and teeth. The teeth you can have replaced.

There's nothing manly about hearing loss.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I'm starting to double up. I don't see how the ear pro is not doing any good if you don't "perceive" the loudness but I'll err on the side of safety.
    It sneaks up on you.

Canuck OSHA says: EARPLUGS: On the positive side, they are simple to use, less expensive than muffs, and often more comfortable to wear when in hot or damp work areas. Some disadvantages are they provide less noise protection than some muffs, and should not be used in areas exceeding 105 dBA. They are not as visible as muffs, making it more difficult for supervisor to check to see if workers are wearing them. They must be properly inserted and inserted hygienically to provide adequate protection.

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/prev.../ear_prot.html

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Shooting suppressed, doubled up on earpro... if you spend more than 2 hours a day on the line, you will have noticeable hearing loss. No way around it.

The WORST is when someone lights one off when earpro isn't on (idiots) ie. line is cold. everyone around suffers hearing damage