Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delton Barrel Quality

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Delton Barrel Quality

I probably already know the answer but I want to hear it from y’all. How good/bad is a non-chrome lined Delton barrel?

It wouldn’t be used in a go-to or precision rifle, just a plinking/target build but I still don’t want to waste my money or junk either.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    I probably already know the answer but I want to hear it from y’all. How good/bad is a non-chrome lined Delton barrel?

It wouldn’t be used in a go-to or precision rifle, just a plinking/target build but I still don’t want to waste my money or junk either.
    Pretty much everything Delton is junk. You can get a significantly better barrel from Ballistic Advantage or Sionics for not much more money.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Pretty much everything Delton is junk. You can get a significantly better barrel from Ballistic Advantage or Sionics for not much more money.
    Kinda of what I figured. I’ve been eyeing a BA blem barrel for pretty cheap but it’s an 18” and I’ve been wanting a 20”.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    Kinda of what I figured. I’ve been eyeing a BA blem barrel for pretty cheap but it’s an 18” and I’ve been wanting a 20”.
    BA is running a President's Day sale and the prices are pretty low.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not True at least my example of One upper I got about 9 years ago. It shoots sub MOA-MOA groups with S/B 55gr ammo
    over 500 rounds - no issues except, did not like my reloads so it has a tight chamber and taught me that I need a Full Length resizing die.
    Not sure about their quality now

@akdoug - what Deltons have you shot?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Not True at least my example of One upper I got about 9 years ago. It shoots sub MOA-MOA groups with S/B 55gr ammo
    over 500 rounds - no issues except, did not like my reloads so it has a tight chamber and taught me that I need a Full Length resizing die.

“Over 500 rounds” in 9 years, you say?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    “Over 500 rounds” in 9 years, you say?
    Sssshiitt, I've done more than that in one range session.
    On side note for Delton, and this isn't one of their barrels, but over all QC/QA. I have a friend who recently contacted me wanted to know what I thought might help fix an issue with a Delton lower that he was having issues with. Unfortunately, he had SBR'd the lower before testing it and with bolt forward the lower will not easily allow the magazine to drop free. As in if the bolt isn't locked back you are forcibly striping it according to him. Basically from what he is telling me, and I haven't put hands on it yet, he has to punch the release and strip the mag in the best case. This is not something that I would see giving me the warn and fuzzies about Delton QC/QA more so when there are other manufactures out there who I would trust a lot more for a GP fighting barrel with ain't gonna be over gassed since every Delton rifle that I have handled that was complete was a basic commercial grade POS with a carbine buffer and I would bet an over gassed barrel.

Short answer, no, I wouldn't buy a delton anything in the market where there are better quality rifles for less or minimally more.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post

I doubt they've gotten better. The last one I shot was in a build I did in 2013. I got the barrel in a trade. Over gassed, not very accurate, not a 5.56 chamber, poor finish. Plenty of them come into the range I used to be the president of, most a 2MOA at best and show obvious signs of overgassing, so mine wasn't an anomaly. It got swapped out for a used Colt barrel and I moved on.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Sssshiitt, I've done more than that in one range session.
    On side note for Delton, and this isn't one of their barrels, but over all QC/QA. I have a friend who recently contacted me wanted to know what I thought might help fix an issue with a Delton lower that he was having issues with. Unfortunately, he had SBR'd the lower before testing it and with bolt forward the lower will not easily allow the magazine to drop free. As in if the bolt isn't locked back you are forcibly striping it according to him. Basically from what he is telling me, and I haven't put hands on it yet, he has to punch the release and strip the mag in the best case. This is not something that I would see giving me the warn and fuzzies about Delton QC/QA more so when there are other manufactures out there who I would trust a lot more for a GP fighting barrel with ain't gonna be over gassed since every Delton rifle that I have handled that was complete was a basic commercial grade POS with a carbine buffer and I would bet an over gassed barrel.

Short answer, no, I wouldn't buy a delton anything in the market where there are better quality rifles for less or minimally more.
    Sounds like it may just need a little mag release button adjustment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like it may just need a little mag release button adjustment.
    Maybe. But, he told me he ordered a new mag release and swapped it today and the issue was still there. He originally contacted me earlier in the week and we had talked about what might be causing the issue.
    i haven't been able to diagnose it myself since he is a few states away. I was actually shocked/honored, I was the guy he went to for advice. First thoughts was a mag issue, then the release, but he is reporting that with bolt forward the mag release is stiff and the mag will not easily drop. No upper, no issue. No downward pressure, no issue. Mags don't appear to be an issue either as of now. Since I can't readily, inspect the lower and I can't figure out what is causing it, nor have I been able to replicate with my stuff, i am currently agreeing with him it could be a lower issue pending having another friend closer to him take the lower and inspect it.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast