Thread: To resize or not to resize

Feedback Score

To resize or not to resize

I have about 100 pieces of 308 win (HSM new/factory) and 100 pieces of .308 win LC (once fired and processed by some company). I have check the 4 pieces from each lot against a L.E. Wilson case gauge and the fits inside the tolerance. I put two pieces on my trimmer and both pieces got trimmed by a very small amount. So the overall length is longer then what I trim my brass too, but my question is should I resize the new and remanufactured brass.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Might as well. It's not going to hurt anything, won't take very long, and then you know it's right.

Feedback Score
    If you do not resize the cases the neck will not hold a bullet.

And different case gauges have different inside diameters, meaning most gauges only check shoulder location for checking shoulder bump.

Example below the Wilson and Dillon case gauges allows the base of the case to drop further into the gauge. "BUT" the red JP Enterprise gauge is reamed to minimum SAAMI diameter and smaller in diameter than the Wilson and Dillon gauges.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All my brass gets resized prior to reloading, regardless of its age or where it came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Decided to resize that way I know that the brass is consistent with the rest of my brass. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    All my brass gets resized prior to reloading, regardless of its age or where it came from.
    ^^^This^^^

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you did not do it, then it did not get done. Kind of a motto I use for myself when reloading. I don't care if it is factory or someone else pre-processed. I would at least want to take measurements to ensure everything was done and there is consistency. For every single case. But it is usually less effort just to process it and then you know for sure.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It depends on the brass. I've taken new Lapua brass and just loaded it up. Dented necks, however, would benefit from an initial sizing. If you have a neck sizing die, you could run that and be fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It depends on the brass. I've taken new Lapua brass and just loaded it up. Dented necks, however, would benefit from an initial sizing. If you have a neck sizing die, you could run that and be fine.
    I agree with this. Lapua I load straight out of the box. Afterwards it is resized in a Redding S bushing die to bump the shoulder back about .002

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    I agree with this. Lapua I load straight out of the box. Afterwards it is resized in a Redding S bushing die to bump the shoulder back about .002
    Well on that I agree, too. After measuring I found Lapua and Nosler brass out of the box to be excellent. So I do load those without resizing due to the confidence I have from their consistent measurements. I have not tried new Hornady brass but I suspect it would be good quality in consistency as well. But any "regular" new brass like Win, Rem, and even Fed or other headstamp I will resize. And certainly any "once fired" pre-processed brass gets resized.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.