Thread: Colt style 9mm Gas Deflector and Ejection Port Cover questions

Feedback Score

Colt style 9mm Gas Deflector and Ejection Port Cover questions

So, I'm adding a couple of the hard plastic Gas Deflectors, as used on the Colt 9mm SMGs and carbines, to some 9mm uppers that use the slick sided, meaning no Forward Assist but with 5.56 Shell Deflector, Aero Precision receivers. The Gas Deflectors came without a little spring that sits on the back, as seen by me on some internet pics. Most of the 9mm ejection port cover and deflector kits come without the little spring (unless it's already in the back side of the of the deflector and not visible in the ads).

Questions

1. Do I chop off as much of the port cover as covered by the Gas Deflector, or is there an additional gap? Does anyone know the length in inches or millimeters of the cover? I assume that as long as the door swings out freely, without catching on anything, that I'm good.

2. I assume the spring in the back of the Gas Deflector to be for keeping tension on it in order for it not to rattle and/or to better seal where gas is most likely to exit towards the shooter's face.

Does anyone know the spring dimension or a suitable substitute for the factory spring?

Can someone tell me in which of the 5 holes in the back of the Gas Deflector the spring is supposed to go into? Based on the size of the spring in the only pic I found, it must be the shallower bottom-most hole or recess.

Thanks in advance for any and all help with this.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Feedback Score