Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig SRD556-QD vs SRD762-QD

Feedback Score

Sig SRD556-QD vs SRD762-QD

So I'm going to buy my first suppressor and I've nailed it down to these two but I could use some advice.

Usage:
    The rifle will be used for home defense and an occasional carbine class. I'm a lefty and this suppressor will be mounted on a future bullpup purchase, a Keltec RDB or a Tavor/X95. The suppressor will primarily be installed on the bullpup but will occasionally be installed on a Colt 6720. I may cut the Colt barrel to 14.5 and pin a flash hider to it. It will occasionally be installed on a 308 rifle with a 20" barrel. I can live with only having the 556 but the 762 suppressor is enticing from a flexibility/longevity/back pressure point of view. Max round count per year is around 1000.

1. Is back pressure/gas to face going to be that much better with the 762 suppressor? This is important if I purchase the Tavor.

2. Is the longevity of the 762 going to be far far better than the 556 if 75% of the rounds fired are 556. I'm looking at the QD versions for longevity purposes.

3. What is the expected longevity of the Sig 556 vs other 556 suppressors.

4. Would you say Sig suppressors are robust? How would they compare to a Specwar?

5. Have you heard of anyone launching a Sig suppressor due to a design or manufacturing issue?

6. Is it harder for the government to control/ban suppressors that are owned by a trust vs individual? I'm not to worried about wait times.

7. Sound wise, what am losing if go with a 762? How noticeable will be at the shooters ear?

Comments:
    I like the idea of going with Sig because the company isn't going anywhere.

I don't want to deal with gas to the face, doesn't sound fun. This is what has drawn me to Sig (1.625 Dia 308). I've never shot a suppressed firearm.

I will use ear plugs no matter how good a suppressor sounds.

The Keltec RDB seems to have been made for suppressors but I question the quality. I'm looking forward to their RDB Tactical model that might come out this year. This rifle has an AGB. I truly wish another manufacturer were building this rifle.

The Tavor doesn't have an adjustable gas block but people have drilled and tapped it to accept a screw. Hopefully they come out with a new model that has one.

Thanks for the advice and your time, I appreciate it. This turned into a far typing than I anticipated.
    Last edited by lee1000; 02-18-18 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    I’m a lefty and have enjoyed the OSS EL 762, BPR4 w/ SRM5, and HX 556. These cans are currently on closeout and each can be had for less than $550. Very little gas to the face and hearing safe at the ear. Mine are still in NFA jail but I’ve shot the at my SOT’s range and I am pleased with the performance. Check them out before you make a final purchase here:

https://coppercustom.com/index.php?r...rch&search=Oss

And here:

https://www.botach.com/search.php?se...ry=Oss&Search=

(Botach was about 4 weeks to my FFL/SOT and Copper Custom was about the same.). These are actually drop shipping from OSS directly according to the Form 3s. If you’re really looking to reduce gas to the face I think these are the best on the market.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1000 View Post
    So I'm going to buy my first suppressor and I've nailed it down to these two but I could use some advice.

Usage:
    The rifle will be used for home defense and an occasional carbine class. I'm a lefty and this suppressor will be mounted on a future bullpup purchase, a Keltec RDB or a Tavor/X95. The suppressor will primarily be installed on the bullpup but will occasionally be installed on a Colt 6720. I may cut the Colt barrel to 14.5 and pin a flash hider to it. It will occasionally be installed on a 308 rifle with a 20" barrel. I can live with only having the 556 but the 762 suppressor is enticing from a flexibility/longevity/back pressure point of view. Max round count per year is around 1000.
    I think you will find that once you have the suppressor you'll want to use it as much as possible and on as many of your rifles as possible. Most people are better served with a 30 caliber can as their first rifle suppressor purchase, both because of the increased versatility and because they usually have less back pressure on 556 semi-autos.

1. Is back pressure/gas to face going to be that much better with the 762 suppressor? This is important if I purchase the Tavor.
    There will most likely be a noticeable reduction in back pressure when going to the 762, as it has both a larger volume and larger bore.

2. Is the longevity of the 762 going to be far far better than the 556 if 75% of the rounds fired are 556. I'm looking at the QD versions for longevity purposes.
    Both are quality cans, I doubt you'll notice any difference between the two as long as you buy the Stainless and not the Titanium 762.

3. What is the expected longevity of the Sig 556 vs other 556 suppressors.
    As far as I know they are comparable to most other Stainless & Inconel full auto rated suppressors in their price range. I would expect them to last as long as a Specwar or the new SiCo Saker ASR cans. The way you use a can (firing schedule and the caliber and barrel length of the host) can have a big impact on lifespan. If you expect a heavy firing schedule (full auto, lots of mag dumps, etc.) a Surefire or Rugged suppressor will be more durable.

4. Would you say Sig suppressors are robust? How would they compare to a Specwar?
    I like the design of the Sig rifle cans (although they do look a little strange to some). IMO they are robust and well constructed for their price point. Sig also managed to save some weight by deleting the cosmetic outer skin that many manufacturers use. The down side is that you can see all of the welds in the can, something that doesn't bother me but may others.

The Sig 762 is a couple of inches shorter than the Specwar 762 (a design recently discontinued by SilencerCo and replaced by the Saker ASR), and just a little wider in diameter. Both suppressors are constructed of Stainless Steel and Inconel. The Sig is also about 30% lighter (7oz), a pretty significant difference that will make a difference in how the can feels when mounted on a rifle, and also probably in the amount of POI shift you may see. I think between the two the Sig mounting system is better than the SiCo (larger taper, external wrench flats on the back of the can, more versatile muzzle devices that can be switched between break and flash hider without removing the mounting portion from the firearm), although the ASR isn't bad (I own an Omega and have had no issues with it).

There are options other than the Specwar that may be better or at least more versatile than the Sig. The Dead Air Sandman S and the Rugged Razor are both within $100 of the Sig 762-QD. Both are worth a look.

5. Have you heard of anyone launching a Sig suppressor due to a design or manufacturing issue?
    Not, at least not from the 10 or so that I've sold to customers.

6. Is it harder for the government to control/ban suppressors that are owned by a trust vs individual? I'm not to worried about wait times.
    Not sure what you mean by this, as if we got to the point where they are banning NFA items it would not matter how the can was owned. The main benefit to a trust at this point is that it allows multiple people to possess an item and it may simplify estate planning.

7. Sound wise, what am losing if go with a 762? How noticeable will be at the shooters ear?
    A 556, especially a bullpup, will be loud regardless of the can you choose. As others more knowledgeable than I have repeatedly stated in other threads, sound suppression should not be a top priority when choosing a rifle can. That said, the Sig 762 cans are some of the more pleasant rifle cans I've heard in terms of tone, so I don't think you would be losing anything if you decide to go with one. [/QUOTE]

Comments:
    I like the idea of going with Sig because the company isn't going anywhere.

I don't want to deal with gas to the face, doesn't sound fun. This is what has drawn me to Sig (1.625 Dia 308). I've never shot a suppressed firearm.

I will use ear plugs no matter how good a suppressor sounds.

The Keltec RDB seems to have been made for suppressors but I question the quality. I'm looking forward to their RDB Tactical model that might come out this year. This rifle has an AGB. I truly wish another manufacturer were building this rifle.

The Tavor doesn't have an adjustable gas block but people have drilled and tapped it to accept a screw. Hopefully they come out with a new model that has one.

Thanks for the advice and your time, I appreciate it. This turned into a far typing than I anticipated.
    I would recommend shooting a few suppressed rifles if possible before buying anything. You should have a good idea of what a suppressed rifle sounds like before spending the sort of money you are talking about.

I think there is a thread here about the Keltec RDB where someone mentioned issues with running them suppressed (melted plastic from the increased heat & gas, IIRC), but that may be something they have addressed. I've not been hugely impressed by the Keltec products I've handled, especially for the price, but your mileage may vary.

Finally, I would add this is a great time to be considering buying a rifle suppressor as there are a lot of great options on the market (with the Sig being one of them).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    I think you will find that once you have the suppressor you'll want to use it as much as possible and on as many of your rifles as possible. Most people are better served with a 30 caliber can as their first rifle suppressor purchase, both because of the increased versatility and because they usually have less back pressure on 556 semi-autos.
    Thank you for the comprehensive reply sir, I appreciate it. A lot a good info there. I may try to rent a can before I step into this. The indoor range that I frequent will let you put the money of a rented gun towards the purchase of a gun. I may ask them if I can do the same with a can. They may not now that I think about it, the costs associated with renting a suppressed rifle are going to be different than a standard pistol.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thank you for the comprehensive reply sir, I appreciate it. A lot a good info there. I may try to rent a can before I step into this. The indoor range that I frequent will let you put the money of a rented gun towards the purchase of a gun. I may ask them if I can do the same with a can. They may not now that I think about it, the costs associated with renting a suppressed rifle are going to be different than a standard pistol.
    If they sell suppressors and have a range on site you can ask if they have any demo models that you can shoot before making a purchase. Some dealers have demo suppressors and dedicated host guns set up to work with them for exactly that purpose, demoing suppressors for potential customers.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Lots of good questions and all were answered by Tx_Aggie. You may want to prioritizes you needs and see what can fits your requirements. Good thread on the topic - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...he-Surefire-RC

I would add a few things. Sig cans are good to go, especially the steel cans. I own a 762 Ti among other cans. Mounting system is good to go and I have never heard of any issues with cans launching. Much better QD system then most. I do agree with Tx_Aggie that they look a little goofy but you get used to it and their performance is pretty awesome compared to other cans in their class.

From my experience, I would get the 762 can as you will get more use out of it with multiple guns and you can grow into it. The other thing I would add is when I was purchasing my first can I was all about the durability and could it make it through the end of the world. If you do not have full auto lowers I would not worry about the durability that much. I think my Ti Sig is more robust than my SiCo omega and you would be fine with an omega. All these cans have a lifetime guarantee and will fix whatever is needed. Weight at the end of the day can be a big issue. My Sig Ti went through a 2 day class and I was using a SCAR 17 with no issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Lots of good questions and all were answered by Tx_Aggie. You may want to prioritizes you needs and see what can fits your requirements. Good thread on the topic - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...he-Surefire-RC

I would add a few things. Sig cans are good to go, especially the steel cans. I own a 762 Ti among other cans. Mounting system is good to go and I have never heard of any issues with cans launching. Much better QD system then most. I do agree with Tx_Aggie that they look a little goofy but you get used to it and their performance is pretty awesome compared to other cans in their class.

From my experience, I would get the 762 can as you will get more use out of it with multiple guns and you can grow into it. The other thing I would add is when I was purchasing my first can I was all about the durability and could it make it through the end of the world. If you do not have full auto lowers I would not worry about the durability that much. I think my Ti Sig is more robust than my SiCo omega and you would be fine with an omega. All these cans have a lifetime guarantee and will fix whatever is needed. Weight at the end of the day can be a big issue. My Sig Ti went through a 2 day class and I was using a SCAR 17 with no issues.
    Thanks

If I were to get the 762 direct thread model, how would I attach that to a 556 barrel?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Thanks

If I were to get the 762 direct thread model, how would I attach that to a 556 barrel?
    You would have to a have a modular can like the omega where you can purchase different mounting attachments - Omega comes with direct thread for 762 and you would purchased the 556 version separate. Not an option with the sig direct thread cans.

Feedback Score
    Why are you looking at direct thread instead of the quick attach mounts?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
    Why are you looking at direct thread instead of the quick attach mounts?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    After reading some more I will go with the QD 308. I might get it today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast