Thread: Thoughts/ Suggestions: Small .300 BLK AR

Feedback Score

Thoughts/ Suggestions: Small .300 BLK AR

This is my current project. I am building this as a trunk gun. Here in MI, it's only legal to transport a loaded pistol in a vehicle with a CPL. MI law defines a pistol as any firearm <26" in an operable configuration (so stock collapsed). I built this as an AR pistol first so I could work out the kinks before submitting the Form 1. I wanted to be sure I would be under the 26" length with stock so I went with an 8.3" barrel over a longer option. I decided on .300 BLK after some discussion here about ballistic performance out of this short of a barrel. (Also liked the idea of adding a suppressor down the road) I tried to be as cost effective as possible and still source what I considered to be reliable parts as I plan to use this for personal defense if needed. I bought a lot of the parts over Black Friday weekend, and came in at about $450 with out the light.

I'm thinking of adding a standard carbine recoil extension and an MOE SL-K stock when I get the tax stamp. The MBUS will need to be replaced with the PRO version, as they won't fold with the tape switch positioned where my hand falls.

The thing I'm trying to figure out currently is what optic to put on it. I have astigmatism or I'd slap a T-1 or MRO on it and call it a day. I've had good luck with the Prism sights and the Tritium/Fiber sights. I have a Vortex Spitfire AR I could use, but I want the redundancy of iron sights and a QD mount doesn't seem to be available for it. I like the idea of a "smaller" optic on this build and the Trijicon RX06 seems to fit the bill except the washout issues, but I'm thinking I'll be more inclined to deal with them than a 8 MOA blur out of an Aimpoint. The Triangle reticle is big, but its crisp to my eyes. I could use the tip for more precision.

Current Configuration

Upper:
    Ballistic Advantage Upper Receiver
    Ballistic Advantage Hanson Performance Series 8.3" Barrel
    BA Pinned Low Profile Gas Block
    VG6 Precision Gamma Muzzle Device
    Midwest Industries G3 7in M-lok Rail
    MBUS Gen 2 Sights
    Brownells HP/MP Nitrite BCG
    Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 1
    Arisaka Defense M-lok Inline Light Mount
    Milspec Charging Handle

Lower:
    Anderson AM-15 Stripped Lower
    CMMG Gun Builder's Kit
    M&P Trigger
    BCM Pistol Receiver Extension Kit
    Magpul MOE K2 Grip

20180218_144804.jpg20171205_232919.jpg

Feedback Score
    I have an astigmatism as well... the LED RMR sucks for me. Green fiber RMR works better and the Amber looks good too.

The Spitfire was been solid for me.