Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor baffle strike/scrape?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Suppressor baffle strike/scrape?

I was inspecting my Silencerco Omega 30 yesterday, and noticed what looks like scrape marks on the edge of the last 2 or 3 baffles at the front end of the can. However, there are no marks at all on the end cap. I've fired less than 200 rounds so far through it, all on an 8.5" 300 BLK barrel, direct thread. Before I fired any rounds through it, I eyeballed the alignment just by looking through bore from both ends, and it appeared centered, but after looking a little more closely yesterday, it does appear that it may be slightly out of alignment. I've been suspect of the threads on this barrel from the start, since there is no 90-degree shoulder, but rather a very mild taper. I also made sure the ammo I was shooting stabilized before shooting it through the can.

I'm not going run the can on that barrel any longer, I bit the bullet yesterday and purchased a 9" BCM 300 BLK upper receiver group, I trust that the threads on that barrel will be cut correctly (buy once, cry once...). Should I be concerned about the minor scrape marks to the baffles? I wouldn't think this should affect the performance or integrity of the can, but just want to make sure.

Feedback Score
    Who made the 8.5" barrel?

Do you have photos?

Have you noticed a change in the point of impact?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
    Who made the 8.5" barrel?

Do you have photos?

Have you noticed a change in the point of impact?

I will try and get photos.

The barrel is made by PSA (yeah, I know...)

I haven't shot the gun enough to notice any changes, I really only tested out about 5 different types of ammo, some being much more accurate than others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    I will try and get photos.

The barrel is made by PSA (yeah, I know...)

I haven't shot the gun enough to notice any changes, I really only tested out about 5 different types of ammo, some being much more accurate than others.
    My guess is, if you were having baffle scrapes AKA baffle strikes, you would notice a 2 to 6 ft point of impact shift.

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
    My guess is, if you were having baffle scrapes AKA baffle strikes, you would notice a 2 to 6 ft point of impact shift.

Hmmm, ok, I definitely didn't notice that, but I wasn't really counting all the holes in my targets either, so I guess it's possible. I would think that if it did happen, I would see some sort of damage to the end cap, right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    Hmmm, ok, I definitely didn't notice that, but I wasn't really counting all the holes in my targets either, so I guess it's possible. I would think that if it did happen, I would see some sort of damage to the end cap, right?
    Maybe. Maybe not. I had a suppressor that was shooting five feet high at a hundred yards and there is no indication of an end cap strike

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    These are the best photos I can get. It’s the shiney spots on the edge of the baffles. Like I said, it looks like something just barely scraped them.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captains1911; 02-19-18 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hard to tell from that, but given the 2 baffle strikes I've seen there was no wondering if a baffle strike had occurred. That to me looks like a little finish flaking off. The SilencerCo Omega and AAC can't remember what model strikes I saw were 'good grief what the heck' with large chunks gone.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 02-19-18 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    That really doesn't look like a baffle strike. But it's almost impossible to tell. The easiest way to determined if the suppressor is not concentric is to see if there is a significant point of impact shift

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for the reassurance. Hopefully I won’t have to worry about this with the BCM upper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast