Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suppressor baffle strike/scrape?

Feedback Score
    First and foremost; If in doubt do not use the suppressor on that barrel until it as been both checked and verified by a competent gunsmith. This means having a properly fitted alignment rod run through the bore with the silencer mounted.

Secondly, do not become over confident that all is ok because me or anyone else says "looks ok I don't think it's a baffle strike."

No I don't think it is a baffle strike, my WAG is that a very small amount of jacket or brass has simply adhered to the bright area of your photo. Sometimes bullet shavings will come loose and exit via the bore. If you can reach those spots with a Qtip, try some copper cleaner for color.

Heck your threads could be good enough, but your crown might be crap and the bullet does a Hula anyway in the first bit of a run up.

Good for you getting what should be a superior barrel, but by all means have it check properly before firing, not just for apparent bullet stability.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    First and foremost; If in doubt do not use the suppressor on that barrel until it as been both checked and verified by a competent gunsmith. This means having a properly fitted alignment rod run through the bore with the silencer mounted.

Secondly, do not become over confident that all is ok because me or anyone else says "looks ok I don't think it's a baffle strike."

No I don't think it is a baffle strike, my WAG is that a very small amount of jacket or brass has simply adhered to the bright area of your photo. Sometimes bullet shavings will come loose and exit via the bore. If you can reach those spots with a Qtip, try some copper cleaner for color.

Heck your threads could be good enough, but your crown might be crap and the bullet does a Hula anyway in the first bit of a run up.

Good for you getting what should be a superior barrel, but by all means have it check properly before firing, not just for apparent bullet stability.
    ^^^^ This is good advice.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post

Thanks for the advice. Finding a gunsmith that actually has one of those gauges is easier said than done. May be easier to just buy the gauge myself.

Feedback Score
    308sako is correct.

One thing you could always do is get a guy's League guide rod

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    CNC Warrior sells alignment rods for less than $20.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/SearchResu...ch=rod&Submit=

Feedback Score
    Alignment rod. I'm not sure how voice to text was that far off

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    CNC Warrior sells alignment rods for less than $20.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/SearchResu...ch=rod&Submit=
    I may just get one of these. However, the longest length they have is 18". Wouldn't it need to be at lease the length of the receiver+barrel+suppressor??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    I may just get one of these. However, the longest length they have is 18". Wouldn't it need to be at lease the length of the receiver+barrel+suppressor??
    Just long enough to put a couple of inches in the bore for alignment. (You want to avoid any metal so closely matched to the bore diameter from scratching the bore up so a couple of inches once in awhile to ensure alignment is good enough.)
    It is precision rounded to the exact diameter of the bore. I use a 9mm, 7.62, and 5.56 on every weapon the first time I mount a can to be sure there is alignment. Doesn’t guarantee another issue won’t cause a baffle or end cap strike but does show alignment and establish concentricity.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    Just long enough to put a couple of inches in the bore for alignment. (You want to avoid any metal so closely matched to the bore diameter from scratching the bore up so a couple of inches once in awhile to ensure alignment is good enough.)
    It is precision rounded to the exact diameter of the bore. I use a 9mm, 7.62, and 5.56 on every weapon the first time I mount a can to be sure there is alignment. Doesn’t guarantee another issue won’t cause a baffle or end cap strike but does show alignment and establish concentricity.
    I got the rod, and as far as I can tell the can is concentric on both the PSA and BCM uppers. The rod doesn't appear to be perfectly straight, but if I rotate it while it's in the bore, the gap between it and the hole in the end cap appears uniform. I assume that if it wasn't concentric, it would be glaringly obvious? I don't really like sticking that metal rod down into the bore, even though it fits very loosely and the chrome lining should be much harder....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    I got the rod, and as far as I can tell the can is concentric on both the PSA and BCM uppers. The rod doesn't appear to be perfectly straight, but if I rotate it while it's in the bore, the gap between it and the hole in the end cap appears uniform. I assume that if it wasn't concentric, it would be glaringly obvious? I don't really like sticking that metal rod down into the bore, even though it fits very loosely and the chrome lining should be much harder....
    Then that's a good sign

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12