Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.5” Barrel question for a build

Feedback Score

14.5” Barrel question for a build

I am planning to build an upper and I’m currently acquiring the parts needed. I want to go with a 14.5” non-NFA barrel. Can I purchase a 14.5 barrel, then later buy and assemble the rail, gas block and barrel nut before pinning & welding the FH on? Would I be in violation of the NFA if the bbl is not mounted to an upper receiver? I checked the NFA rule book, but I couldn’t find the info I’m looking for. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    An upper receiver with a short barrel is NOT a firearm. Having said that I wouldn't recommend driving around with a short barreled upper and complete lower in the trunk of your car.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are no restrictions on your upper. You can have an 11.5 upper. A 12.5 upper. As long as they aren't attached to a lower you're fine. You can get in trouble for intent to build an sbr if you aren't careful.

Feedback Score
    As said, you are fine. Just dont install the completed upper on your lower until pinned/welded.

If you really want to be overly cautious, dont assemble the upper until pinned, but that is “above and beyond” the legal requirements.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the info and it supports what I was thinking. Just to be safe, as recommended, I have no intention of installing the bbl until it’s built and the FH is pinned and welded. Thanks again fellas.

Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dhnut1973 View Post
    Thanks for all the info and it supports what I was thinking. Just to be safe, as recommended, I have no intention of installing the bbl until it’s built and the FH is pinned and welded. Thanks again fellas.

I'm not a lawyer (of course) but I believe that if you have an upper with a barrel under 16" AND a lower in your house, some overzealous prosecutor could charge you with constructive possession. I've always herd that if you have a way to assemble things that isn't illegal, you should be ok. If you have 1 lower, 1 < 16" upper, and 1 >= 16" upper or you had 2 lowers, 1 < 16" upper, and 1 >= 16" upper you'd be ok. But if you only had 1 lower and 1 <16" upper.... it's not something I'd want to test.

JRCII

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Put a pistol buffer tube on for the time being to test everything out in case you want to change something out later. Pin it when you are completely satisfied with the build.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as a buttstock isn't attached to the receiver extension, the firearm is considered a pistol correct?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as a buttstock isn't attached to the receiver extension, the firearm is considered a pistol correct?
    I do not think that is correct. Removing my buttstock does not change my rifle into a pistol, legally speaking.
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 03-26-18 at 16:22.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    dhnut1973, take a look at this adjustable brace from SB Tactical. I personally dont like braces but this may help you with your build.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sba3/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast