Thread: What Makes Barrel Nut System Strong?

Feedback Score

What Makes Barrel Nut System Strong?

Hey guys,

Forgive my ignorance, but what makes a barrel nut/handguard system strong/reliable?

I hear all the time that the Geissele handguards are apparently super strong, but idk how to analyze a potential barrel nut/handguard?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Geissele (and ALG) barrel nuts are much longer than a GI barrel nut making it more difficult to deflect the end of the handguard. My examples have also had a very precise friction fit between handguard/barrel nut. I've been very impressed with my Geissele and ALG rails. I wondered the same as you but once I handled and installed one the lightbulb went on.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Definitely the length of the barrel nut and quality of the fit between the nut and the rail. I've had a 13" troy Vtac, a Centurion C4 mid cutout and a 13" Geissele Mk2. I like the old vtac but the reliance on the stock barrel nut allows a bit of flex. The 2 piece C4 rail gave a better grasp of the barrel nut and noticeably less flex. Enough flex in both of these to make contact without too much effort, against the gas block inside the Vtac and at the bayonet lug with the C4. The C4 cutout is too close fitting at the bayonet lug IMHO, but thats for another discussion.

The longer Geissele barrel nut and its extremely tight fit give very little deflection without actual effort and not enough to make contact. Im not sure if these concerns of deflection are baseless, I cant envision it being important itself, but the rigidity of the Geissele setup is definitely reassuring vs the other 2

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you increase the length of the nut you spread out the force applied. You also effectively decrease the lever arm and thus torque on the nut. From my experience, my 2 geissele barrel nuts have been very snug to the rails. 100% recommend the mk8 and mk4 systems.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk