Thread: Colt Expanse Barrel

Feedback Score

Colt Expanse Barrel

Seeing a lot of these on the interwebz for cheap lately. I suspect Bold Ideas Texas has liquidated their inventory, and were seeing it trickle down to Gunbroker etc.

I thinking of picking up a bare barrel to finish up a parts bin build.

The profile is sensible, the price is right.

The ones im seeing are rollmarked "5.56 NATO 1/7 C P" or "5.56 NATO 1/7 C"

So what Im wondering is

1. Did Colt make the barrels in house for Expanse/Colt Competition? Or were the barrels sourced by Bold Ideas?

2. What does the "P" rollmark mean?

3. Can I expect a correct 5.56 chamber on an Expanse barrel?

4. Can I expect a .063 port on an Expanse barrel?

5. I am aware the Expanse was not chrome lined. But what grade steel was used?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    What makes one build a “parts bin” gun? If you have to buy more parts, it surely can no longer be a parts bin build...

Do you not have a carbine already, or two? Surely they are of higher quality than whatever you’d be building. If not, why not build a high quality rifle?

If you don’t see where I’m going with this, why not use the parts bin for parts rather than build something sub-par for very little reason other than having the parts handy.

Feedback Score
    Nah mang, I'm not looking for advice, just seeking information.

If the Expanse barrel was indeed made in house by Colt, then I would consider it a high quality part.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    The Expanse barrels were 4150 steel just unlined.
    https://www.colt.com/Portals/0/Specs/2016/CE2000.pdf

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I wouldn't waste my time with one of these when real Colt 16" carbine barrels are available for cheap.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Yes, I'm aware of current 6920 and Colt parts prices.

I really just want to know if CE2000 barrels are gassed and chambered properly.

Perhaps Grant can chime in, he knows more about these than anybody I think.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    I wouldn't waste my time with one of these when real Colt 16" carbine barrels are available for cheap.
    I would normally agree, but I picked up some for $100 a piece, and they shoot well. Generic 55 grain was roughly 3" groups at 100 yards, but 77 SMK pulled 3/4" five round groups.

If I could get Colt barrels for anywhere near $100, I would be all over it.

ETA- I should point out that I think there are a few different barrels being claimed as CE barrels. I would guess that some are, and some are not.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB