Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over barrel suppressors available in the US for 5.56?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Over barrel suppressors available in the US for 5.56?

I tried searching for "over the barrel" and "over barrel" without good results.

I'm wondering about overall length added to the weapon vs effectiveness.

In theory an over the barrel suppressor should be much better for a given amount of additional weapon length.

In "theory".

TED

Feedback Score
    In my opinion the the back over the barrel / Reflex suppressors do not serve a use as well as modern high quality front mounting suppressors.

For both optimum sound and flash suppression, the baffles situation in front of the muzzle achieve more performace than the expansion tube / chamber rearwards.

So in essence a lot of that back over the barrel length and weight is wasted space and weight, if not utilized in a more complex form for a lower back pressure.

In which case the suppressor gets heavier and more complex.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Options include Allen Engineering (Ops Inc), OSS, AMTAC, Spikes, and Griffin Armament.

I haven’t pulled the trigger on a reflex can yet, so all I can offer is some names to Google. I’ve been looking into them myself, but am on the fence about the benefits vs tradeoffs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    AMTAC uses the over the barrel section to reduce back pressure. Their suppressors add about 3.5 inches to overall length and weigh about 14 oz.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I was looking at getting a Griffin SPR for my SPR, but they have been discontinued. My dealer says he was told by Griffin that they were discontinued because the company wanted to put more attention into their other products. But it could have very well been due to low sales. I was interested in that can specifically because it was supposed to provide increased performance without increased lenght over a standard can.

Edit- and it mounted with a QD muzzle device and the barrel wasn't going to have to be reprofiled.
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 02-20-18 at 09:16.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    I was looking at getting a Griffin SPR for my SPR, but they have been discontinued. My dealer says he was told by Griffin that they were discontinued because the company wanted to put more attention into their other products. But it could have very well been due to low sales. I was interested in that can specifically because it was supposed to provide increased performance without increased lenght over a standard can.

Edit- and it mounted with a QD muzzle device and the barrel wasn't going to have to be reprofiled.
    It looks like the 30 cal version of that can is still available (the RSTA), at least through Silencershop. They also appear to be on sale:

https://www.silencershop.com/silence...sta-5021.html?

Griffin still shows the flash hider version of the mounts for these cans in stock in both 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 threads, but no brakes.

But you would still be buying a product that is potentially discontinued and may be difficult to find additional mounts for going forward.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have an old Ops Inc 15th Model, which is like the Allen Engineering AEM3. I love the short length and very low back pressure. It's 17 Oz which is not bad. Plus it's two point mounting system tensions the barrel.

The down side is you have to be picky about which barrels you use on your builds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    In "theory".
    In reality they add more weight than performance and most manufacturers have dropped them from production.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The new CZ Titanium reflex cans look pretty light weight.

No info on performance that I know of though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    AMTAC is the only company I have personal experience with. They brought their full line-up to a demo day I ran through work. Not the most versatile cans, but I did notice a lack of gas/particles to the face, and didn't find the weight to be that big of a deal. I would not recommend one if you were only getting one, but I could see myself picking one up down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast