Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over barrel suppressors available in the US for 5.56?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a Griffin RSTA on a BCM RECCE precision rig I assembled. I like it. It's a dedicated can, and stays on that rifle.

It's the only can I have ever run on that particular rifle, so take that for what it's worth. But it's been very nice, and I'm not planning on replacing it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One thing I like about the over the barrel suppressors is you can use a longer barrel to get the same overall length and pick up some velocity.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    AMTAC is the only company I have personal experience with. They brought their full line-up to a demo day I ran through work. Not the most versatile cans, but I did notice a lack of gas/particles to the face, and didn't find the weight to be that big of a deal. I would not recommend one if you were only getting one, but I could see myself picking one up down the road.
    Nate,

I have considered AMTAC for my MDR but there is really no end user reviews or data on them. Their older can had really poor performance numbers, but supposedly the Mantis line is much better. Do you know what line you demo'ed? Like the OP I would like a well performing can that doesn't add a ton of weight or back pressure. Even OSS has seemed to have abandoned the reflex can idea.

Feedback Score
    We've sold over the barrel suppressors to private buyers and LE departments, but only with OSS. we keep meaning to take a look at Amtac, but as other folks have said already, the market appears to be moving away from OTB designs unless you have a specific desire/need for one. Our initial experience with the OTB OSS line mirrors what has been discussed prior - namely that they can be heavy, and not as efficient with suppressing sound as quality flush mount designs. I think that OSS was very invested in the OTB design at first, but with every "generation" that came after, their flush mounts got better and smaller so the demand wasnt steady enough for us to keep pushing them. Last year we finally even removed them from our Demo Platforms altogether.
    the Pros and Cons we saw were quite simple:
    PRO: minimal length added to end of the barrel, sound suppression similar to flush mount "K" cans, NO muzzle flash vs flush-mount "K" cans.
    CON: weight (but this can be mitigated because its more closely centered), cost (at least with OSS), barrel and gas system restrictions, Rail limitations.
    OSS had an additional add-on segment called the Signature Reduction Module, and while with both attached it could make the rifle stupid-quiet, it was also stupid-heavy. For our Demo rifles with OTB designs, we ran only a bipod-based AR with the full OSS OTB mounted on it (Most private buyers who went OTB with OSS mounted both sections on guns with bipods), and a 12.5" SBR with the primary OTB section mounted on it.

Attachment 50681

We had only one LE department who went with OSS OTB (as opposed to the others who went Flush mount), and that was a VERY SPECIFIC build for their 15 man Tactical Team after evaluating a lot of other suppressor manufacturers with us:
    BCM 12.5" SBR (Carbine length gas system would allow minimum clearance for OSS OTB)
    OSS BPR2 (overlapped the barrel 2.7" and extended the barrel about the same). They DID NOT mount the second section to the OSS suppressor.
    Seekins Precision Rail
    Trijicon MRO + 3x Eotech Mag
    SSA trigger

Attachment 50682

Their team worked a lot with Bearcat vehicles, so the OTB (without the long SRM) provided some significant suppression, allowed them to keep their platforms short, and minimized the blowback, etc. They really wanted to stay with 12.5" SBRs, so this was the one time the OTB really provided a solution. They've been running them for over 14 months pretty hard now, and are very satisfied. That said, we havent sold a single department since on the OTB models, but we've moved a good number of flush mounts.

Like every other suppressor, there are good and not so good features of the OTB design - or at least, the only one we have first hand experience with. We did find that the same particular benefits that were evident with OSS flush mount - lack of blow back, no increase in BCG speed, etc - carried over with the OTB models. However, I dont think they will be making these much longer just because the demand isnt there. When we first added them to our lineup, these OTB models were close to or over $2000 each...not exactly an endearing feature. (now I think they are still offered in the fire-sale that OSS is having and could be less $ than that)
    There are a lot more "K" series cans available now even then there were a few years ago it seems, and they all offer options to those trying to minimize barrel length as the top priority. The one issue we see with every "K" series flush suppressor isnt so much the sound suppression...its the muzzle flash that has killed them in LE evaluations.

www.sentinelmn.com

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon01 View Post
    Nate,

I have considered AMTAC for my MDR but there is really no end user reviews or data on them. Their older can had really poor performance numbers, but supposedly the Mantis line is much better. Do you know what line you demo'ed? Like the OP I would like a well performing can that doesn't add a ton of weight or back pressure. Even OSS has seemed to have abandoned the reflex can idea.
    I was using the older gen cans, then demos I hosted were in 2015 and in 2016. I agree the numbers they quote on their website look pretty terrible, but to my untrained, uncalibrated mk1 mod 0 earballs they sounded pretty similar to most traditional cans. I would say it would be hard to tell a difference in sound between my Sandman-K and the CQBm on an AR in 5.56. The lower backpressure really was noticeable, at least to me shooting left-handed. I think I already mentioned that I wouldn't really want an OTB can as my first or especially only can as they are not as versatile, but I would own one eventually, and probably will down the road.

Feedback Score
    Zimmwr and Nate

Thanks for the real world insite, I greatly appreciate it. OSS' prices have seemed to come back down to earth, so maybe I should consider them again. Ultimately I want a can that doesn't make my MDR unwieldy, buy it also effective at being a can... however well a can can tame .308.
    Last edited by Dragon01; 02-22-18 at 17:55. Reason: Added names

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12