Thread: Adjustable Gas Key vs Gas Block

Feedback Score

Adjustable Gas Key vs Gas Block

In large frame rifles and typical cartridges used, i.e., .308 family the adjustable gas block is the defacto component, but possibility of carbon locking up the block.
    Question; has the adjustable gas key seen more use recently and are the adjustments likely to work loose? Rubber City Armory has a great product but I have not yet used it to (adj. gas key) know how well it works. Sorry for dumb question...
    Obey Acts 2:38

Feedback Score
    IMHO... you are better off limiting gas volume at the GB.

The gas key will work, ( order spare screws, for when you lose one ) but it still allows all the gas into the BCG and receiver ... it just limits the volume of gas flow into the bolt area.

I hope that makes sense.

If you have a pinned and welded barrel ... the Adj. gas key might be your only choice.

And not a dumb question. We all have to learn some how.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think controlling gas flow at the gas block is a better idea than at the key, but I've never used an adjustable gas key.

The adjustable gas block isn't a defacto component on every 308 AR. The MP-10 I tried was set up for commercial pressure ammo and would sometimes short stroke with NATO spec ammo. It won't need an adjustable gas block until a suppressor is added.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I think controlling gas flow at the gas block is a better idea than at the key, but I've never used an adjustable gas key.

The adjustable gas block isn't a defacto component on every 308 AR. The MP-10 I tried was set up for commercial pressure ammo and would sometimes short stroke with NATO spec ammo. It won't need an adjustable gas block until a suppressor is added.
    Mist, those M&P 10s are the only AR10 I've shot that have truly conservatively sized gas ports.

And I can always install a lighter buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."