Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G19 Gen 5 to Replace Gen 4?

Feedback Score

G19 Gen 5 to Replace Gen 4?

Greetings,

I own and carry a G19 Gen 4. In the next few months I will go to my first shooting match in which I use my personally owned weapon. I shoot my current gun well, but I’ve never liked Glocks. It’s a strange conundrum in which what seems to work best isn’t my preference, but I stick with it because I’m being realistic. There really isn’t a pistol I’ve shot that I shoot better, which is also disappointing because I can’t use that as a reason to switch.

Right. Now that the craziness is out of the way, the question: Should I drop the Gen 4 for a Gen 5? Considering that I shoot it well and already have accessories for it, will it fare better in daily carry and especially competition? I have not shot a Gen 5 yet and I don’t know anywhere near me where I can, even for a fee, without purchasing first. I can’t really afford to own both without affecting savings goals for other, arguably more important things.

I am blue label eligible and my Gen 4 is a blue label, so please consider resale value and limitations for any price comparisons.

Thank you all for your time.

Feedback Score
    I own both and while I think I shoot my Gen 5 better, it's probably not simply because it's a better gun. My personal feeling is that if you're comfortable with a Gen 3 or 4, then stick with it, but if you're a first time buyer, Gen 5 makes sense.

In other words, it works better for me, but not better enough if I hadn't had cash burning a hole in my pocket. My Gen 5 19 was a total impulse buy. Don't regret it and it's now my EDC, replacing the Gen 4.

Mine is stock, except for optional ameriglos which ran blue label right around $500 at my LGS.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I've shot and carried gen4 Glock 19's for a few years. I bought a blue label gen 5 Glock 19 last October. There are several small improvements in the gen 5 over the gen 4. But when all of these small improvements are combined, the difference to me is noticeable. The stock trigger is as good or better than any Glock I have with a polish job. The mechanical accuracy if the gen 5 is slightly better. Enough to notice.

The resale value of a Glock in my area is pretty close to what the Blue Label pricing is, minus tax.

I own two gen 4 Glock 19's that are vetted and reliable. I plan on keeping them as spares, as they're paid for and I don't have to feed them. But when I qualify on my agency's off-duty pistol course next month, I'll be using the gen 5 gun to do it with.

Feedback Score
    I have a Gen4 G19 and Gen 5 G17. I'll probably eventually get a Gen 5 G19 (and gen 4 G17 because I have a threaded barrel for a Gen 4 G17 lying in the safe) eventually. My next glock, though, will probably be a Gen 5 G34MOS. Yeah, I would go for the Gen 5 over the gen 4.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I own, and carry two different Gen 4 19's. I am a Gen 4 19 guy in my own opinion, I prefer it to previous Gen Glocks. I have the finger grooves removed, and custom stippling and all of that good stuff to make it feel the exact way I wanted.

I shot my friends brand new G19 gen 5 two weeks ago, and It completely blew me away. It's what I have wanted in a Glock right out of the box. I literally smiled after the first magazine. If you are a Glock shooter, and have tons of rounds down range and trigger time on them, every improvement on the Gen 5 is noticeable immediately. I will be adding a Gen 5 19, adn a Gen 5 (NON MOS) G34 in the next year. I think they did an awesome job.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Do it. I’m considering this myself. Selling my remaining gen4 for another gen5.

Feedback Score
    I prefer my gen 5 19 to my gen 3 simply because the finger grooves on my gen 3 hit my hand awkwardly. The lack of finger grooves sold me on the gen 5 and I shoot it better than my gen 3.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I look at it this way. If you could get all the Gen5 changes as aftermarket upgrades what would it be worth to you? Would it be worth more or less than what you’d lose on a swap? People think nothing of spending $10s to $100s on sights, barrels, stippling, finger groove deletes, cosmetic milling, guide rods, magwells etc. I’m out about $75 going from Gen3 to Gen5 which to me was was easily worth it for the barrel, trigger, grip texture and flat front strap. I would have spent, what, $300+ for all that and this way I have a stock pistol with factory warranty. Plus, new gun!

Feedback Score
    You could sell your Gen 4 19 for $450ish depending on where you live. Around here used Glock 9mms always command decent resale so you might be able to break even with blue label prices taken into account.

I don't know about most, but to me a Glock is a Glock and comparing generations or models is like comparing hammers or pipe wrenches. That being said, there are some improvements to the Gen 5 that can and should be taken into consideration and with blue label factoring in I'd say go for it.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, folks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast