Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Better shop than ADCO for upper work?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You could try West Coast Armory. Weapon Outfitters speaks highly of them and they have really clean pin and welds.
    http://www.westcoastarmory.com/gun-smithing/page/97
    wca_pinning.jpg

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    I have used John Thomas at Retro Arms Works and was really happy with the work www.retroarmsworks.com . About 10 day turn around time and fair prices
    I ended up going with John. He was super fast to respond to both emails and it was all very straight forward. He also quoted me the best price which was helpful because of shipping costs from Hawaii. I also found a thread from LAV on here recommending him. I don’t agree with LAV’s stance on some things but I’m pretty confident in taking his recommendations. I’ll post again when I get it back. Thanks for all the responses, every shop mentioned here was cheaper than ADCO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I ended up going with John. He was super fast to respond to both emails and it was all very straight forward. He also quoted me the best price which was helpful because of shipping costs from Hawaii. I also found a thread from LAV on here recommending him. I don’t agree with LAV’s stance on some things but I’m pretty confident in taking his recommendations. I’ll post again when I get it back. Thanks for all the responses, every shop mentioned here was cheaper than ADCO.

Glad he is getting you fixed up. Sure you will be happy.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'm very impressed so far. It arrived at Retro Arms Works on Monday afternoon and I just got an email that it is already on its way back to me, should be here on Saturday. I dropped it off this past Saturday. That's an awesome turn around time.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMP84 View Post
    You could try West Coast Armory. Weapon Outfitters speaks highly of them and they have really clean pin and welds.
    http://www.westcoastarmory.com/gun-smithing/page/97
    wca_pinning.jpg
    Thanks for suggesting that. I've got a 14.5 upper that needs a pin and weld job. I was planning on shipping it out, but WCA is close and I never realised they did that kind of work.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What happened to ADCO? They used to get high praise.
    All of this is just advice. You go out and do whatever the f&<€ you want to do.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by adh View Post
    I most recently used http://ar15barrels.com/services.shtml
    no joke....best pin/weld I've ever seen/had done
    lead time was acceptable but not fast (3-4 weeks IIRC)
    $100 round trip for both barrels I thought was VERY reasonable.....IMO stellar price for the quality of the work
    He’s also a member here on m4c.

"Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Better shop than ADCO for upper work?

Got the upper back today. Unfortunately I probably won’t be able to shoot it until the end of the month so I can’t give a final thumbs up yet, but it looks and feels good. As long as there aren’t any issues with the gas system when I shoot it, John at Retro Arms Works will probably any future business I have for similar work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Got the upper back today. Unfortunately I probably won’t be able to shoot it until the end of the month so I can’t give a final thumbs up yet, but it looks and feels good. As long as there aren’t any issues with the gas system when I shoot it, John at Retro Arms Works will probably any future business I have for similar work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any idea what they charge for a basic pin and weld?

Overall, I had no serious problem with the pin & weld job that Adco did for me, was reasonable cost and fast.

The issue was a couple of weeks after I got it back I found rust spots on the barrel where it look like some kind of corrosive liquid was dropped on it. I'm guessing sweat. Ate through the phosphate.

Not a big deal, as it's under the handguard. But it's also something that should be avoidable. Just can't imagine how it occurred.

The learning for me was whenever you send something out, better wipe it down or really good as you don't know what it's been exposed to.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Retro is $50 for pinning plus $15 for shipping/ins CONUS.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast