Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint recommendations for lower

Feedback Score

Paint recommendations for lower

Hi All,
    I have just finished my DMR using a Spikes Templar lower. I would like to color in the shield and Latin words for safe, fire, etc. Could anyone kindly recommend what type of paint to use. Permanent is nice but given the use of cleaning solvents I can live with touching up when needed. My wife is an oil painter so fortunately I have many small and tiny brushes to choose from.

Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    testors model paint.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don’t color fill my lowers but Sherwin Williams with the egg shell sheen has always worked really well for me on my walls at home. It seems to get into the small cracks as well. Granted those aren’t Latin words engraved on a lower but it’s also pretty similar.

Not to de rail your thread but do you speak Latin? I’d be confused AF if I had a lower like that lol, I’d never know which was fire and which was safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-26-18 at 01:48.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I use my brother's fingernail polish.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Had to look up at the browser address bar...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Seconding Testors model paint - it's pretty durable, fouling and oil residue cleans off easily, isn't a pain to work with, is cheap and easy to find, and simple to redo if you don't get it just right.

Degrease and clean really well beforehand with acetone, and mask off engravings that you either don't want painted, or painted a different color. Use a toothpick whittled to a really fine point to "flow" the paint into the grooves. Some will go where it isn't supposed to: if it's down in the wrong groove, scrub it out with an acetone-soaked q-tip. If it's up on the top surface, allow it to dry, then lightly buff with a paper towel and either CLP or regular motor oil until the only paint left is down in the groove where it's supposed to be.

I personally don't consider this to be a cosmetic, nonsensical question, as do this with all of my SAFE/FIRE or pictogram selector engravings. Hell, we do this with aircraft gauges and instruments all the time, even though the pilot is "supposed to know" his aircraft's operational limits without them.

https://i.imgur.com/7A1AUly.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/s8JB15N.jpg
    Last edited by Dionysusigma; 02-26-18 at 14:38.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've done a lot of filling in engravings. Lacquer Stiks are not only the approved method, they are the easiest and nearest method. But, if you guys wanna keep finding the hardest, messiest way to get the task done, it's your money it's your gun.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast