Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10.5 barrel and buffer recipe

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop556 View Post
    I've had good success with a standard carbine extension and running a H3 with blue SpringCo spring.

I prefer a BCM A5 extension with the H3 and a green SpringCo spring.
    Yes, the A5 with A5H3 /green is a great combo.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop556 View Post
    I've had good success with a standard carbine extension and running a H3 with blue SpringCo spring.

I prefer a BCM A5 extension with the H3 and a green SpringCo spring.
    I've heard a few things about the Blue Springco spring. Good to hear that you have had good success with it personally! What barrel are you running SWAT?
    Last edited by Doc. Holiday; 02-21-18 at 22:33.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Doc, my experience is use an H2 buffer (carbine RE) or A5H2 (A5 RE) and adjust the gas accordingly. If you start with an over sized gas port, you're already behind the power curve.

HeruMeru, VLTOR makes a pistol A5 RE that can be used with a brace.
    I have seen them, just haven't invested the time or money into it. Thank you nonetheless, may be time to do that as the A5H4 and Green Sprinco are significantly smoother than the H4 carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    What 10.3/5 barrels do you know of that are .060 ? Or barrels that are even smaller then .069 that are not cut down?
    As I had mentioned, I have seen Centurion arms 10.5 is on the lower side of .06.

I never said I could quote barrel manufacturers providing such, but figured a smaller gas port (with some due research on OP's end) may serve them better in the long run.

Nonetheless, Centurion is the only one I can think of off the top of my head with the small gas port from manufacturer.

Buffer weight does not increase dwell time.
    I see your post was edited to be nicer.

Thank you, I don't know what it said before, but either way, I must have miscoined this term. I was under the impression if the mass is greater and the mass ultimately is slowed down, the gasses have more unlock timing and slows down the reciprocation giving the bolt more time to dwell.

I've seen, with one of my uppers, that a stock Carbine buffer would run very quickly, in strings it would fail to strip the next round. This issue was corrected with the heavier buffer. I was under the impression that the... "time frame" of the bolt moving and staying at the rear of the buffer tube for those fractions of seconds is referred to as dwell time. But, I really wouldn't doubt I am misusing that terminology and certainly wouldn't allow my ego to not be humbled with a little education.

Nonetheless, thanks for being nice about it, I assure you it was a mistake if misused and appreciate the moment of grace.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 02-22-18 at 09:59.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buffer weight does not increase dwell time.
    That depends on which dwell time you're talking about. If you mean the time it takes the bullet to travel from gas port to muzzle, you're right. But that dwell time has little, if anything, to do with the function of an AR.

But the buffer weight does have an affect on the time it takes to get the reciprocating mass moving and that does matter.

However, my experience is, if you don't get the gas flow right, it won't matter how much reciprocating mass you use. If you do get the gas flow right, choosing the right buffer becomes very simple.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Adding the can will certainly change things. Going to an H3 is pushing it for our tastes. Heavy buffers suck under rapid fire. Too much reciprocating mass.

If you're not running a fixed FSB, an SLR adjustable is much better than heavy buffer "pop".
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Ya I planned on getting an adjustable GB when I get my can. Should I just start with one and skip the Geissele? I've heard a lot about the SLR. Anyone's thoughts on the Odin works?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    Should I just start with one and skip the Geissele? I've heard a lot about the SLR. Anyone's thoughts on the Odin works?
    .073" will run with a can, but you'll probably have a bit of excess bolt speed. I would start out with an SLR... but I'm obsessed with correct gassing, and completely over the game of using heavy buffers.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Exactly, I just want to have a reliable rifle that isn't being over worked(within reason since its a MK18 inspired)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yes, the A5 with A5H3 /green is a great combo.
    A5 system is just something special. You can change buffers as needed and there is no downside.

I used my first adjustable gas block and liked it. It was an SLR. I always thought those things had two settings Can on can off, This one can be changed on the fly, but it just has notches to click until you get your load shooting soft as possible and the BCG locks back. I don't think its design is for changing all the time, its to get the perfect gas system in place.

Again, A5

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    My primary duty rifle has been a 10.5" LMT with FSB. I run a SF SOCOM RC2 w/ SF brake. I have used it with an H, H2 and an H3. I currently (last 3 years) use an H2. I really couldn't tell a difference between them recoil or reliability wise.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast