Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.5 barrel and buffer recipe

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    With such a ways out, I would pick up an H2 and H3. When you get the Can, get an H4, just in case you need to increase that dwell time to avoid feed issues and such.
    I should also add, if you haven't purchased yet, go do some searching on what kind of port size would be best. If surpressed. Somewhere in the range of .06-.07 may be better instead of a standard 7.3 to give you more leeway.

Smaller port may limit your steel cased weaker ammo though.

I am sure there are many more well versed than I, such as IG or Stickman, will have to see if they pop in for some input.

ETA: For example, Centurion 10.5 barrels are .063

I have seen most 10.5s anywhere between .060 and .073.

They all have the same thing in common: they're very rarely common/ported the same as the others. So, each barrel will be different. I am on the mindset that a .073 might be over gassed. But, no true idea as I only went with the 11.5 to work with the additional 40% (if this statement from BCM is true ) dwell time.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 02-21-18 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Doc,

I have that barrel and built a MK18ish clone, only with an SLR sentry7 AGB.

Shooting magtech 62gr fmj,
    SLR Sentry 7 AGB
    Carbine RE
    Dead Air Flash hider mount

Unsuppressed, with BCM carbine spring H Buffer - controllable, but a bit more lively in movement - even with the gas dialed down to eject and feed next round, then opened up 2 positions on the GB.

H2 was quite a bit better with the same standard carbine spring unsuppressed and suppressed with Sandman-S. The flu took me down over the last few days so I didn't have enough time to test the H3 buffer because I ran out of daylight.

I have a few SpringCO blue and green in the shop and a VLTOR A5 Kit I have yet to test with this setup - once I've recovered from this crud.

Obviously if I'm dialing down the gas my final results will be different than yours. I did verify the GP at .073 on my barrel.
    Last edited by jethroUSMC; 02-21-18 at 15:57. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Doc, my experience is use an H2 buffer (carbine RE) or A5H2 (A5 RE) and adjust the gas accordingly. If you start with an over sized gas port, you're already behind the power curve.

HeruMeru, VLTOR makes a pistol A5 RE that can be used with a brace.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jethroUSMC View Post
    Doc,

I have that barrel and built a MK18ish clone, only with an SLR sentry7 AGB.

Shooting magtech 62gr fmj,
    SLR Sentry 7 AGB
    Carbine RE
    Dead Air Flash hider mount

Unsuppressed, with BCM carbine spring H Buffer - controllable, but a bit more lively in movement - even with the gas dialed down to eject and feed next round, then opened up 2 positions on the GB.

H2 was quite a bit better with the same standard carbine spring unsuppressed and suppressed with Sandman-S. The flu took me down over the last few days so I didn't have enough time to test the H3 buffer because I ran out of daylight.

I have a few SpringCO blue and green in the shop and a VLTOR A5 Kit I have yet to test with this setup - once I've recovered from this crud.

Obviously if I'm dialing down the gas my final results will be different than yours. I did verify the GP at .073 on my barrel.

Right on, let me know how it goes! I am curious since you have that barrel.

MistWolf- Ok cool, thanks for your input. When you say carbine RE, what does RE stand for?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    Right on, let me know how it goes! I am curious since you have that barrel.

MistWolf- Ok cool, thanks for your input. When you say carbine RE, what does RE stand for?
    Receiver extension.

Feedback Score
    Ah, I'm so used to calling it a buffer tube it didn't even click.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I should also add, if you haven't purchased yet, go do some searching on what kind of port size would be best. If surpressed. Somewhere in the range of .06-.07 may be better instead of a standard 7.3 to give you more leeway.

Smaller port may limit your steel cased weaker ammo though.

I am sure there are many more well versed than I, such as IG or Stickman, will have to see if they pop in for some input.

ETA: For example, Centurion 10.5 barrels are .063

I have seen most 10.5s anywhere between .060 and .073.

They all have the same thing in common: they're very rarely common/ported the same as the others. So, each barrel will be different. I am on the mindset that a .073 might be over gassed. But, no true idea as I only went with the 11.5 to work with the additional 40% (if this statement from BCM is true ) dwell time.
    What 10.3/5 barrels do you know of that are .060 ? Or barrels that are even smaller then .069 that are not cut down?
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 02-21-18 at 20:32. Reason: Being a little nicer
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    With such a ways out, I would pick up an H2 and H3. When you get the Can, get an H4, just in case you need to increase that dwell time to avoid feed issues and such.
    Buffer weight does not increase dwell time.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 02-21-18 at 20:33. Reason: Being a little nicer
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Doc,

I would pick up a sprinco blue and H2 buffer for unsuppressed use. This is a good smooth combo. With a can, use a H3.

I would never use an H4 on a carbine system. Super heavy buffers are a bandaid and do not address the true issue.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I've had good success with a standard carbine extension and running a H3 with blue SpringCo spring.

I prefer a BCM A5 extension with the H3 and a green SpringCo spring.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast